Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:19 PM   #21

Trout Guy wrote:
Quote:
Flydoc, my fiancee said she shot the deer pics from her car and with the motor running...the shots were lousy so no sense posting them here.
And I thought the Anti-shake function worked pretty good :G.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:37 PM   #22

bacs57 wrote:
Quote:
What does the Tele option in the A200 menu change?
The Tele option, when set, tells the camera that it has an ACT-100 fitted, because that is what the firmware upgrade has enabled. This allows the camera to focus correctly and record the correct focal length in the Exif data.
Quote:
Will this be corret for the x1.7 TCON17? What settings are required when using the TCON17?
The same Tele setting in the menu for the TCON-17 to enable it's use, but no, the focal length in the Exif will still be the same as if an ACT was fitted.

When using an ACT, the focal length will be shown as 300mm, assuming you are at the long end as it should be used. With the TCON fitted, it will still show 300mm instead of the actual 340mm, but you will be getting 340mm. After all it's just a magnifying glass with a multiplier of 1.7.
Quote:
Will manual focus work using the usual distance indication?

Yes, in my limited use of manual focus + tele, it appears to be doing what it should on mine.

Stevekin.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:06 PM   #23

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
And I thought the Anti-shake function worked pretty good :G.
That's what I asked but she said she was in the big truck that shakes violently at idle and she had to shoot from the hip so to speak so no time to get a proper shot. I'll get her to send me some others and try to post 'em.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:45 PM   #24

Derrall, I was only teasing. Even the usually very effective AS on the Ax cameras have their limits. By the sound of it your fiancee has found one of them. :-)

Stevekin.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:44 PM   #25

Yep she did; I think the answer is turn off the engine first:lol:

I bought the A2 for her as a Christmas gift and I really haven't used it since, at the same time, I was getting my EOS 20D and lenses. I think I will just have to check it out the next time we are together (if I can get it away from her that is):P She has no desire to mess with my 20D and its heavy lenses.

Her girlfriend with the A1 is ordering the TCON 1.7 with the step-up ring.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:52 AM   #26

Stevekin, that is informative, interesting, and useful. Thank you. I will put this into practice this very afternoon.
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:06 PM   #27

I'm looking for a telephoto and a wide angle. I can't help wondering why the ACT-100 is £150+ from shops but - brand new - about £80-£90 on ebay. I wonder if there is 'old' stock and 'new' stock - anyone know?

I tried a Raynox DCR-1850 PRO, with 49:52 step up ring today, it was very disappointing, with colour fringing and vignetting even at camera 200mm setting and pronounced astigmatism (radiating out from the centre) at the corners.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:39 PM   #28

Phranque, sorry I can't comment on Ebay prices, or why they are so much cheaper, as I never use it's services.

I, like many others, use a TCON-17. Yes you still get a little vignetting at 200mm, but it's something I can happily live with as it doesn't lose much from your image when cropped. The other factors in my decision were, as you have noted, the price. TheTCON cost me £64.99 from Amazon. co.uk, free delivery. It weighs just over half the weight of the ACT-100.

You need a 49-55 step up ring, £3.00 from Jessops, this may mean there is less vignetting than the Raynox you tried.

All in all, I am very happy with mine.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:20 PM   #29

Hi Stevekin,

I think you've probably got it right. That's where I should be heading. I think today's experience has frightened me a little in that the Raynox has glowing testimonials on some forums. I don't know why mine should have been all that bad, but it was.

That Amazon price for the TCON sounds good. I shall go and have a peep right away. Thanks for the tip. I've found them to bewell-priced on Epson cartridges for most of the time, too.

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:27 PM   #30

You're welcome Phranque. Please remember that I said there is some vignetting with the TCON and this is attached to my A2. Though the A200 is the same size thread, I would hope that you get the same results as I do. If possible, try one first. I realise that slight vignetting to me could mean unacceptable to you.

This is a long winded way of saying please don't shoot the messenger, if you find you are not happy with it :-). I am and many others are, so I would think you would be too.

Stevekin.