Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 18, 2005, 2:05 PM   #41

:?
Just called the store where I purcahsed the ACT-100 and they tell me the lens has NO threads to install a filter!!!!!!!!

Can anyone verify if this is true....................
mannypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 8:32 PM   #42

Well the lens arrived today.

It's threaded and 86mm, oh and pretty heavy too! Now I need to purcahse a uv fiter for it.
mannypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:04 PM   #43

Finally tracked down an ACT-100 for my 7Hi.

Found it on eBay, after a little bit of a bidding war, won it for $100, which I'm pleased with. It's new and I saw one go previous to that for slightly more and that was used.

Yep, it is a big, heavy sucka but a very nice piece of glass. Even though I saw the pictures and knew the dimensions/weight, it's not until you hold it and attach it to the camera that you appreciate just how big it is.

Anyway, thanks to all for this thread, gave me enough info that Iknew what I wanted. Took some time to get the ACT-100, as nowhere I looked had them..... and of course now I have my new toy, can I go and play outside with it and take wildlife snapshots (what I do the most of) .... oh course I can't, it's just started to snow here in Minnesota and the temperature is a barmy 24 F !!

Regards, DreeM
DREEMTHEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:44 AM   #44

Hello to all ACT-100 users.

I thought I would share this info, as others may (or may not) find it helpful.

I am extremely impressed with the results I am getting from my D7Hi + ACT-100 but after a little bit of using the two together found two things I was not happy with.

1. All that weight hanging off the end of the camera lens.

2. I found the whole thing uncomfortable to hold, holding the barrel of the camera lens, trying to support all that weight.

Anyway, I noticed that the black rubberized zoom ring on the camera is about the same diameter as the first part of the ACT-100. What I wanted was a piece of tubing to slide over the camera lens and once screwed into place also slide over the end of the ACT-100. So the hunt was on ! :roll:I tried a few pieces of tubing and finally found just what I was after. It is a coupler for 2 inch tubing, used for electrical work. I bought two of them. I also purchased some felt pads, the kind you put under ornaments so they don't scratch table tops, etc. Inside the coupler tube there is a piece of plastic that the end of the 2 inch electrical tubes would butt up against, well that needs to be removed some how. I used a drill and a small sanding wheel and it only took a couple of minutes. The other coupler needs to be cut down to size. I put the first coupler on the camera, with the lens fully extended, screwed the ACT-100 into place and then measured what I needed.... it was about 22mm. Once cut (and sanded smooth) I super glued the two pieces together and then used a soldering iron to melt the outside of the two tubes together, just for a bit more strength. Then I place felt pads in what I thought would be the best place inside the tube. As the rubberized zoom ring on the camera is slightly smaller in diameter compared to the ACT-100, I used some thicker felt pads for that, putting 3 at the bottom, as that's where it needs the most support. I then used the small felt pads (look like small dots) around the rest of that end of the tube and used these also for the other end with the ACT-100 would go. Then to give it a bit of a better look and for gripiness I covered the outside of the tube with self amalgimating tape.

Over all it work perfectly, tons of support for that heavy lens strapped to the front of my camera and very comfortable to hold. Yeah it doesn't look as nice as I'd like but it don't look too bad. I am sure after a bit of using the ACT-100 damage would occur to the lens of the camera, so now I don't have that worry. It's not the easiest thing in the world to put on and off but I mainly do wildlife photography, so the ACT-100 will basically spend its life on the front of my camera, not being removed all the time. I have other cameras I can use, the D7Hi is my 'outdoor wildlife' camera, along with a Panasonic x12 optical zoom.

I hope this info helps. Some people might think the support tube looks silly but it works, supports, is a very snug fit, doesn't slide aboutand is easy to hold.

I have included a snapshot to give you some idea as to what the hell I've been talking about !

Best regards, DreeM
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:57 PM   #45

UPDATE/IMPROVEMENT

Removed the tape and replace with rubber matting, very similar to the bottom of a mouse pad. Now the support tube looks very professional !

Will post image when I get a chance.

Feedback on this is welcome.

Best regards, DreeM
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:02 PM   #46

100% improvement cosmeticly I think you'll agree
Attached Images