Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1

I'm looking for a telephoto lens for my A200. I'm going to take the camera to a concert, so the telephoto lens can't be that big. I'm thinking about getting the Minolta ACT100, but I really have no idea how big it is.
chun8143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:00 AM   #2

The ACT-100 is approx 3.5" (89mm) in length, with a diameter of approx. 3" (80mm). It weighs in at 17.6oz (500gms), so it is a hefty thing. Almost as heavy as the A200 which weighs 20.4oz (579gms)

On the other hand there are a few alternatives. I use a TCON-17 with my A2. Half the price, very nearly half the weight and, as the ACT-100 is suitable for both the A200 and A2, I would imagine the TCON would fit yours. You would need a step up ring ( 49mm to 55mm, £3.00/£4.00, so not a lot of Dollars) The physical dimensions are pretty similar between the two. It's just the darn weight of the ACT-100 !! Slight vignetting with the TCON, but not enough to make me not buy one.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:04 AM   #3

Concerning the Minolta ACT-100 1.5 telextender, I just bought one for my fiancee's A2 and I was very surprised at the size and weight; it's all metal though. I bought it at a camera shop here in the US, walked right in as I wanted to look at a tripod and monopod. The owner sold the ACT-100 to me for a bit over half price ($130.00 US) and told me they weren't big sellers due to their surprising size.

If you really want the Minolta lens you might try a local camera shop and see if you can get that kind of deal then it might be comparable in price to the aftermarket gear although, still heavy.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:03 AM   #4

How is the quality between TCON-17 and ACT100? Could you guys show me pictures of the TCON-17 and ACT100 attached to a camera so I can get a better sense of the size. Thanks alot.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:33 AM   #5

I can show you a pic of the ACT-100 and its box but my fiancee has the A2 and she is 100 miles away at present.....the telextender is huge though!! Here's a quick and dirty pic, you will also notice the price tag from Memphis Photo ($229.95) and I got it for $130.00

Attached Images

Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:59 PM   #6

chun8143 wrote:
Quote:
How is the quality between TCON-17 and ACT100? Could you guys show me pictures of the TCON-17 and ACT100 attached to a camera so I can get a better sense of the size. Thanks alot.
This is the TCON-17 attached to my A2.

As I said, the physical size is similar. The TCON if anything is slightly smaller, but definitely a lot lighter. This is shown with the A2's lens at 200mm, which is of course how it should be used.

Stevekin.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:37 PM   #7

Seems like adding a telephoto will be too big for concert use. Stevekin, would you bring that A2 attacted with the TCON-17 to get a concert?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:45 PM   #8

Most definitely. The TCON is 1.7x, giving you 340mm at the long end. You will have a little vignetting. I think, though, that you may have more of a problem with the flash, or rather the lack of it. Any teleconverter lens works fine in daylight in good conditions but at a concert the lighting will be much less so. The built in flash may not be up to the job. It depends how far from the stage you are.As a tripod is probably out of the question try to find a makeshift support, as handheld at 340mm even with Anti Shake will be a little iffy. If you are near a railing/fence/post or something, try to use it to steady yourself. Having said all that, I would still buy a teleconverter lens anyway for using at other times. If you find your images not too good you will have to remove the TCON/ACT and shoot just with the camera. I always support the TCON with my left hand whenever it is attached to be on the safe side. But remember, being digital......................take as many shots as your memory will allow, with flash, without flash, with the lens, without the lens. Experiment.You're bound to get some keepers. If you do get a teleconverter try to simulate the conditions before you go to the concert. . The stage area should be fairly well lit and you will be in the darker area. Maybe have the lights down low with yourself in a relatively dark area. I've not done concert shooting, so this might be the wrong advice. I appreciate the reason for your question, but I would get a teleconverter anyway.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:13 PM   #9

what exactly is vignetting? I'm now considering the Raynox DCR-1540PRO as an alternative. The Raynox is only 2.6" long, the TCON-17 is 3.9" if I'm correct.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:57 PM   #10

Vignetting is when the corners of an image are a dark shadow. A very simple explanation with an example picture can be seen here. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...netting_01.htm

The TCON-17 is 3" long. I've just measured it.

I don't know the Raynox lens, but they are popular.

Stevekin.