Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:42 AM   #1

I am really pleased with my Konica-Minolta A200 camera, it is performing well beyond my expectations in every respect - well, every respect but one, that is.

It must be my simple mind not reading the manual correctly, there must be something I'm missing because I cannot believe that any manufacturer could produce image files and label each series with the same numbers. So, whatever I took yesterday will be in the series PICT1.jpg, PICT2.jpg for instance. In what must have been a massive leap of imagination into the 15th century K-M decided to allocate todays shots exactly the same numbers.

I keep reading and re-reading the same page in the manual, hoping that something will leap out of the page to enlighten me in my bewilderment, but so far I am stumped. Please, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:35 AM   #2

Hi, interesting name you have, not sure if your question is for real or not
But here you go: Setup menu (#4), second tab, File # memory should be set to on!

If that's not it it's something else.

best,
rob
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:34 AM   #3

Hello redSP,

Yes,the question was for 'real'. Glad you like the handle - I've had it for years !

Thanks for that - I confess I'd forgotten about that and have now enabled it on my A200 where it appears of #2 setup screen, unlike yours. There must be different versions.

I suppose this partially fixes my moan, but it would be so much better if the PICT bit could be eliminated and a date code put there instead. Minolta don't seem to understand that I already know that what I am taking are 'PICTS' so I don't need a reminder from them. However I really DO need an encoded date to bereadily available without having to check EXIF data. Do you know of any way of changing the entire numbering system to something which is user friendly, I wonder?

My steam driven, pre-historic, lumpyCasio QV3000EX spoiled me I suppose, red!!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:49 AM   #4

Hmmm, if you go into menu and use the last tab (the fourth one) etc. That should really be the same across all A200;s! Maybe I've just explained it poorly. Anyway, good it works now!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:00 AM   #5

Ah - I think you were probably talking about the main menu tabs. I went to the setup menu in which the File#memory control is in tab number 2.

Anyway, thanks for your help thus far, red. It's a nice camera and despite my confusion with the numbering I find it quite intuitive.

Best wishes from Wales.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6

You might want to have a look at Downloader Pro from http://www.breezesys.com . With that program you can control a lot of aspect of the transer of files from your flashcard to your computer - among which is all kinds of date-patterns for file-names.
janniklindquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:03 AM   #7

Phranque wrote:
Quote:
I suppose this partially fixes my moan, but it would be so much better if the PICT bit could be eliminated and a date code put there instead. Minolta don't seem to understand that I already know that what I am taking are 'PICTS' so I don't need a reminder from them. However I really DO need an encoded date to bereadily available without having to check EXIF data. Do you know of any way of changing the entire numbering system to something which is user friendly, I wonder?

My steam driven, pre-historic, lumpyCasio QV3000EX spoiled me I suppose, red!!!!!
There's not much you can do in-camera but you can rename all your picture files with the "rename all" optionin the "Tools" sectionof Dimage Viewer after you download them to your computer. For example, you could replace the name "PICT0001" with something like "0218050001". Other programs will do the same thing but since you have a Minolta camera you should have Dimage Viewer. It's a veryquick and easy process in that program.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:20 PM   #8

janniklindquist and PuckM :

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I have downloaded DownloaderPro and it seems just fine for the job. I'll take a peep at the Dimage option first though. One way or another the job will get done OK, I'm sure. This will be so much better.

Thanks to you both, and to redS.

Phranque

Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:25 PM   #9

Download a programme called Flexible Renamer. This can do anything you'd ever want!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:19 PM   #10

More info:

Just to take a look at them I downloaded two progs, PictMove and TIMusb I tried them but they were nothing like as good as DownloaderPro.

Red - I've downloaded Flexible Renamer but it doesn't appear to change file names 'on the fly' as they are being downloaded from the camera. I may be wrong here but I'm dog tired and will check it out properly tomorrow when I become a human being again after a night's sleep.

Nite everyone,

Phranque

zzzz zzzzz zz