Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:33 PM   #11

Thanks eyeare for that informative reply! My situation was a little different than you explained, as I could see the files on my storage card. I just could not open them up to view them... I certainly will be remembering that if the files are suddenly missing in action though!

Update on my camera... I called KM again last night to ask them aboutinstalling the v1.02 firmware to try and clear this up myself. They told me that would not work, not backward compatible. Not sure if they were just giving me a line, but I didn't want to try it once I spoke to them of it, and then have to send it in anyway. It would be going against their advise.

This tech (a very nice female, great voice!):shock:told me that the Kingston 256k card I had bought from the dealer was not recommended by KM for this camera!She said she has been trying to advise KM that they need to do more research on cards,as well as get the list of recommended cards out in their literature withthe cameras. I couldn't agree more! She then said that they only recommend Panasonic andToshiba cards up to 512Mb, and they have successfully tested SanDisk 1Gb card as well. Wish I would have been doing more investigating into this stuffbefore my camera package purchase now. I sent the camera in for repair today.

Have been thinking... Maybe I should try to call Digital Delivered and see if I can get them to exchange this Kingston 256K card for one of those other brands. Even if I had to throw in a few bucks, I would probably do better than trying to sell it on my own. I don't think I want to rrsk putting it in my camera again!:-?
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:52 AM   #12

Quote:
This tech (a very nice female, great voice!):shock:told me that the Kingston 256k card I had bought from the dealer was not recommended by KM for this camera!
That's wierd I personaly don't buy it though I mean if you were useing an MMC instead of an SD Card maybe. But, even MMC should be compatible with that Camera. This reaks a bit of self promotion (or the promotion of it's partners!), to me. I thought any Manufature who wanted to make SD, MMC, CF (or DDR Ramfor that matter!), had to stay in the Specs. in order to use any such logos. In the case of SD.

While it could be a bum Card that you have. Alas noothing is ever 100% I can't see how a messed up SD Card could kill a Camera Device. (barring that you didn't have something like a 'Camera.BIN' File on that Card. (e.g. A bad Firmware update).

Did you ask the Tech Person about Tranmeta 80x Spped SD Cards? I thinking of getting a 512Mb / 1Gb Chip soon before I go on Vacation latter in the Year...
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:48 PM   #13

I have used in my Z2 a cheap Memory Solution 128MB SD card (which I bougth six months ago for my Kodak 6340) and an almost cheaper PNY 512MB SD card bought a pair of weeks after I received my camera. Both works OK with no problems, only in the MS card videos were only less than a minute long because of the speed.

I also have installed RAW-firmware which is version 1.02, and my camera came with version 1.03. Just asked me if I wanted to flash firmware, said "yes" and the 1.02 firmware was installed upon 1.03.

See you.
Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:50 PM   #14

Mato34 wrote:
Quote:
I have used in my Z2 a cheap Memory Solution 128MB SD card (which I bougth six months ago for my Kodak 6340) and an almost cheaper PNY 512MB SD card bought a pair of weeks after I received my camera. Both works OK with no problems, only in the MS card videos were only less than a minute long because of the speed.

I also have installed RAW-firmware which is version 1.02, and my camera came with version 1.03. Just asked me if I wanted to flash firmware, said "yes" and the 1.02 firmware was installed upon 1.03.

See you.

Hmmm... Interesting. So obviously there is people out there using alternative cards with no problem. I have my camera back, just got it yesterday. Didn't even get time to try it out yet. With the option of installing the v1.02 firmware myself, I think I'll try using the re-formatted Kingston 256Mb SD card. I'll keep my eye out for something in the 512-1Gb range though I think.

In looking on the K-M site just now for recommended cards (which I never did find), I stumbled across this nice $50 rebate I could have used if I had bought the cam after 3/1... Just my luck I guess!

http://webobjects.cdw.com/webobjects...full/14537.pdf
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:46 PM   #15

Oh well I'm not so sure that would have been a smart move anyway having read the fine print. First off I'd be screwed becuse I bought a z1 and not a z2 or z3. Secondly I bought my Cam., here in Germany so that would exlucde me for the get-go anyway. Thirdly (and this is what scares me the most!!); You need to send them your original Warrantee Card! Is that worth $50.00(USD)?!?! Humm I don't know. I'd personaly had hoped, I'd never had to have used it, but I did. And so it seems, did you. I wouldn't even like to think what that little Lens cleaning job would have costed me if I didn't have that Warrantee Card...
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:46 PM   #16

Michael,

I guess I'm not sure what you are saying... Yes, I had to send in my original warranty card, but I can still send the camera in again if it needs repairs within that warranty period... right? :? They just want the card as proof of purchase, and once they have that on record, they shouldn't need it again. I photo-copied mine for safe-keeping. Never did get a reciept from Digital Delivered, even after I called and requested one! :evil:

Yes, camera repair can certainly be expensive if you have to pay for it on your own.My last SLR (Minolta XD-5) had a film spool that cracked and had to be replaced. I think that cost me over $70, and that was like 15 years ago! :shock:

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:09 AM   #17

I don't know it might have been thatI dealt directly with the KM Repair Center instead of going directly though KM Germany. But, after 20 Minutes waiting for a Human voice. I found the said Tel. Number on that Card. It's probably becuseI went this route that I didn't get a RMA Number to begin with. I don't know if they'd keep it on file or not. But, I had to send that Card with a Photocopy of my Dated Receipt to the KM Service center. For it to get serviced. I'm not sure if they'd have accepet it with out that Card.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:35 PM   #18

y.. theSD cards kingston 512 are made by toshiba (made in japan)

cheers
Pred@dor is offline   Reply With Quote