Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1

This is very disappointing...I have had the cam about a month, and have been very happy till now. I was shooting away the other night at a basketball game and I used the QVI button at one point to look at a pic I had just taken. This error (cannot display image), along with a ! symbol is all that displays. I went back thru the pics I had taken, and I had to go back almost 20 frames till I reach ones that would display! :shock: There was one movie clip, and it has a real scrambled image, but the sound is there.

I tried dowloading them to the PC and still can't open them there either. I changed batteries and cards and still the same results, can't take any good images anymore... I called K-M and the tech told me to try re-formatting my card, and that did nothing. Looks like I will have to send this one in for warranty repair.How long is the typical turn around on something like that?Another problem is that I have no receipt yet, as the place I bought it from on the internet, (Digital Delivered) never sent me one. So now I have to wait for that to come via snail-mail. :sad: I miss my camera already...

Anyone else ever experience this? I have not had anything happen that could cause damage. Has never been handled rough, or exposed to any weather or anything like that. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:20 PM   #2

Well as for Repair Service; Well it differers, depending on where you send it to, what the overall problem is etc..

As for my impresions of the Minolta z1. Well the first one was a dud (Dead LCD Pixel's), and went right back to the Shop the next Day. The second one seemed fine for about a Week or so... Then all this Dust started getting inside the Lens? I didn't know it I could clean it myself, it was a new Cameraand my 14 Day return had expired. But then it only took about Two Weeks, but that was here in Germany! I wouldn't care to guess about the turnaround in the U.S..

As for a reasion why your Camera might be getting screwed up might be do to a Buggerd Firmware, The Operating System for your Camera might be out of Date. I think the z2 should either be 1.02 (Download), or 1.03 (if Minolta Factoryinstalled it). not the standerd 1.00 or 1.01 Rev.

I think IIRC you can check your Firmware Ver., by turning your Camera on. and thenopen the Menu and Setup. Once in the Setup Menu press the Macro Button and that should display your CamerasFirmware type anything below 1.02 should be updated. If it allready reports to be 1.02 (or higher), I'd try reflashing the Camera again just in case!! but, in all likelyhood if it's greater then 1.02, then you may have to send it in...
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Michael,

I just checked the firmware ver., and it is 1.03. So that is probably the latest available.

When you said "I'd try reflashing the Camera again" what exactly did you mean? To format the card? I did that again just now. There was no pictures on it, so I took a few (whick of course I cannot view), and the I went to the view mode. From there I hit menu, chose format, arrowed over and hit enter. It asks you if you want to format, and I chose yes. It says formatting complete, and when I leave the menu it says "no Images"

I then try to take more pictures and it does the same thing, so i think I am SOL till I send this camera in.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:01 AM   #4

Hi Spruce

I think Michael means re-install the firmware again. It seems that 1.03 and 1.02 are same firmware, but 1.02 is the version for downloadable file and 1.03 is the firmware written in factory. There is a post in this forum talking about this, and also I wrote to Konica-Minolta support asking some info, and they didn't know nothing about differences between 1.02 and 1.03.

Anyway I think that re-installing the firmware can result, as the firmware includes the routines about write/read the images. If the hardware is OK and the fail is in the flash of firmware, it should work.

Look at http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...pport_Software
in Digital Cameras, Z2.

Good luck.
Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:09 AM   #5

No I ment trying to reinstall the Firmware that you could download from KM for the z2 as it was soposed to fix things like this. But, seeing as you already indeed have the lattest Firmware 1.03. Which AFAIK, is identical to the one in which you could download from KM @ 1.02. The only difference is that 1.03 was Factory installed and not User updated. So I'm thinking you could try getting that Program from KM in thereSupport section and install that on your SD Card and run it on the Camera. Like I said this Firmware is like the Operating System (think Windows), for your Camera. But, since you have ver. 1.03 already installed. Your Camera might not allow you to install a Firmware that has an earilerrevisionin this case from 1.03 back to 1.02 eventhough it's the same Firmware...

In short it's looking more likely that your going to have to send itback. I feel your pain! I only hope thatit doesn't take much longer thenwhen I had to wait for mine.

One thing I learnd about these affordable(cheap), Cameras that cram everything One could want on a box'Full PASM' &Hotshoe FlashMount (KM Flashes Only!!), is that these Cameras are perhapsnot the bargen I made them out to be when I first claped eyes on 'em. Which is sad as I really liked my z1 till I came acorss the First one with Dead Pixels on the LCD (The First Digicam inthree that I either bought or was given to have 'em!),. Then the Second poping gunk in the Camera behind the Lense where I couldn't clean it off orgently shake it free! PlusTwo small dead LCD Pixels again on the LCD! make me leary of KM's Quality Control. Which is a shametoas I was thinkingabout eventualy getting a Dynax (Maxxum), 7D,but will probably end up with theNikonD70 instaed. €250.00(EUR), or €2,500.00(EUR), I expect the stuffI buy to be free of all defects (for the duration of the Warranitee)...
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:08 PM   #6

Thanks guys... Yes, I agree. I don't think it would let me install the 1.02 firmware if I tried. I'm not sure I should try to go backwards if I am going to send it in also.Maybe I'll call K-M tech. line again and ask them if this has a chance of straightening it out...So, can I just take this to a Konica-Minota Dealer to send it in, or do I have to ship it myself because I bought it on the internet?

One thing I noticed too (before I deleted all my pics off the cards!) was that the good pictures that were on there from days before I was no longer ableto zoom and pan them when viewing them on the LCD. Why is up with that? Does that help us diagnose what went wrong?

:?

This really sucks... I was going to take this new camera to the Milwaukee Auto Show this weekend where I could finally fire away without having to care about how much film I used!!

:angry:

Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:17 AM   #7

Sprucegoose, have you tried a different card? One of my co-workers got a Z10 recently along with a SanDisk 512MB card and he had a similar problem (camera couldn't read pictures he'd just taken). I put one of my spare cards in and it worked perfectly, and later that day he tried the card that came with his Z10 and it also worked. Turns out his 512MB card was bad.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:25 AM   #8

Yes, I had tried the 16Mb Toshiba card that came with the camera also. It does exactly the same thing... I forgot to mention that in my earlier posts, sorry. That was the reasonIhad my doubts that the suggestion by KM to reformat the card would help me at all.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:44 AM   #9

Too bad it couldn't have been something so simple.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:50 PM   #10

often when files on a card fail in this nature you can recover them simply and easily by doing this:

using windows explorer, try to access your camera/card. if no files show that's fine, all you need to know is that they are stored on there somewhere. right click on the removable drive that is you camera and select properties. if the numbers/graph show that for example, 50MB of you 128MB card are in use even though no files show up, then they are still there and can be recovered. select the tools tab at the top, then run scandisk.

once scandisk has finished, you should find that there are now a whole pile of files named FILExxxx.CHK - THESE ARE YOUR PHOTOS!

to make sure they work, rename one of them to .jpg (assuming the camera was set to Jpegmode) and open it. if thats fine, rename the rest. copy them off. FORMAT you card in WINDOWS. then reformat your card in the camera

Compact flash cards are the WORST for this problem. They seem to experience FAT errors much more regularly then any other media. that said, ALL media are susceptible to it. including the SD cards used in KM cameras
eyeare is offline   Reply With Quote