Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

I went to a local camera shop to try if the FS-1100 will work with the Z3. We tried to connect a Sunpak Auto 22SR Flash on top of the adapter but the Z3 cannot detect it. However, the Minolta 2500D fires without any problem.

Does anyone have an idea if there is a cheaper shoe mount flash for the Z3 aside from the 2500D or if th FS-1100 will work with the Z3?

Here is the link for the FS-1100 - http://www.adorama.com/MNFS1100.html

Thanks in advance!!!:-)
bontistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:16 AM   #2

The sad answer is no it looks like you'll need to chuck the $100(USD) or so, for the 2500D I know! But this is the punishment for haveing a Camera like the z's. Just keep thinking it could always be worse, you could have a z10!
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!

I tried browsing for alternatives and I found a Sunpak FZ4000AF (MX) which sells for around 110USD (since the Minolta 2500D sells for 150USD here).

It was said to work with Canon, Nikon and Minolta SLRs but I'm not sure if it will work with the Z3 (auto and TTL).

Has anyone tried this unit before? I'm planning to get it this weekend.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:22 AM   #4

I think I'v seen that Flash on eBay before and unless I'm much mistaken (and I for One would hope so!), but, alas unless I'm very much mistaken. That Flash will not work with the Dimage z's. It is known to work with other Dimages' though namely the A's (A1, A2, A200), but the Dimage z's do not have that something that those more expensive Cameras have. So the upshot is you have to use the KM Flashes as there the only things guarantied to work.

Sadly as I also understand it the z's does not use (or can not use), the Focus Assist Lamp on those Flashes even if it is a more expensive KM Flash as the z's do not have to avalible Circuitry to access them. in the case of the 3600HS and 5600HS. Though I'm not even sure if the 2500HS even has Focus Assist to begin with. The only upshot beeing that if it did, you wouldn't be able to use it on the current line of Cameras.

I wonder if KM corrected this on the z5??
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:37 AM   #5

Hey there! Where you able to get a compatible flash? Please email me or post a reply. I just got my own Z3 here at Glorietta last week and I'm thinking of adding an external flash later. Please indicate the store and the price also. Thanks.
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:54 AM   #6

Hi Nols,

I was able to find a suitable external flash for the Z3, unfortunately, it didnt fit my budget requirements. If you need further details about what flash I am referring to, you may check this link ---> http://www.sunpak.jp/e/products/index.htmland look for PZ40X. Its around 16000 yen and I'm not sure if it is available in Manila.

Please inform me if you do find one here so I can get one later.

Thanks!

Mike
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:32 AM   #7

Again just because it's for the Dimage line doese not mean it's going to work with the z's. It would be nice if itwould. But if the X-Rate is to be belived ¥1600(JPY) is about €110(EUR).I canorder a Maxxum2500D off the 'Net for only €96.00(EUR), plus Shipping. And just about clip that and be safe that I have a compatible Flash.

Besides like I said before the Dimage z's do not or can not use the Focus Assist Lamp on any Flash wether it's from Minolta or not. It's a well known problem and Minolta still has yet to fix this even with there newest z5.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:40 PM   #8

The PCT-100 is an adaptor that sits in the flash shoe and accepts a standard flash cable from a standard flash. This will allow you to use a non-dedicated flash. You will need an amature extension so that you can seat the flash gun.

This is my intention since I don't feel comfortable ditching my old trusty flash gun in order to buy a Minolta dedicated unit for between $99 to $300 dollars, depending on the GN rating.

The problem is that the PCT-100 adaptor costs between $75 and $99 dollars so it's not far short of the price of one of the Minolta 2500, 3600 or 5600 units.
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote