Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:59 PM   #11

aridolan wrote:
Quote:
Now, with A200 and CP8800 out of the way, certainly not PRO1, I am left with Oly C8080. Would you go for it? What did you choose eventually?
The Olympus 8080 is the only camera that consistently gets good reviews & tends to be regarded as a 'standard' by which others are compared; to me it's only potential shortcoming is the the 140mm top end on the telephoto but to it's credit, it does have a 28mm wide angle.

It has 'loads of buttons' to access most of it's features direct - even turning off sharpness etc to allow this to be post processed. I downloaded a RAW file & using the Photoshop plugin, played around with the settings to create a very impressive image.

I initially felt that the limited movement of the LCD screen was a restriction but logically, all I would want to do is to able to get down to ground level without necessarily laying flat on my stomach.

I believe that 8080 had focus issue problems - I've seen a firmware update on the Olympus site so maybe that's now history.

For the moment, I'm taking a back seat to reassess my requirements & might even be steered towards a dSRL - currently I've looked at the OlympusE300 & Pentax ist DS but might wait to see what the new Rebel XT feels like.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:24 PM   #12
Administrator

aridolan wrote:
Quote:
The BMP I downloaded could not be dusguised JPEGs. I have never seen a JPEG of 23MB.

We do -not- post BMP sample photos, they are all JPEGs. Your browser is saving them as uncompressed BMPs when you click on the displayed full size image as it has already been downloaded. Right click on thethumbnail images on the sample photo page instead - then use the "save target as" option (Internet Explorer), it should be prompting you to save an image filewith a .jpg extension.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:40 PM   #13

steve wrote:
Quote:
aridolan wrote:
Quote:
The BMP I downloaded could not be dusguised JPEGs. I have never seen a JPEG of 23MB.

We do -not- post BMP sample photos, they are all JPEGs. Your browser is saving them as uncompressed BMPs when you click on the displayed full size image as it has already been downloaded. Right click on thethumbnail images on the sample photo page instead - then use the "save target as" option (Internet Explorer), it should be prompting you to save an image filewith a .jpg extension.
Thanks, I did not know that.
aridolan is offline   Reply With Quote