Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:00 AM   #1

As I watched all the new releases for the PMA's every single day, I was disappointed not to see many prosumer cameras. I was hoping for a new KM prosumer perhabs the A3.
Does anybody know IF there well be a new KM prosumer camera any time soon. Maybe at the CeBit in Hannover?

Or is the prosumer range being pushed out by the lower end DSLRs, because there aren't many new prosumers at all. :sad:

Anybody?
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:03 PM   #2
E.T

Yeah, especially when A200 is way too much "baby throwed out with bath water" design instead of real successor.
It just looks like with this "dumbing down" design they're trying to push people to DSLRs.

I myself have 7i and especially AS and big buffer for using RAWs more would be nice but there's no way I'm going to buy A200 gladly and availability of A2 seems to be extremely bad.

If KM's management have any common sense they should realize that unless they release (or at least tell from development of) new real, not dumbed down, successor for A2 they might suffer heavy hits from cheap DSLRs.
But I've never considered human as intelligent/rational specie...

"Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are dead."
-Aldous Huxley

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

Considering release dates those have been either around February or September.
And only intervals longer than half year (full year) were between original 7 and 7i and between 7Hi and A1.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Konica_Minolta/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:08 AM   #3

KM hasn't released a digital camera at all at the PMA's. Maybe they will in Hannover, they must do something. The 7D is too expensive to be a real competitor in de amature DSLR field. Maybe KM is going to release a 7D without the AS, a cheap version.

KM has to do something, I think. :?
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:27 AM   #4
E.T

Just thought something not so promising.

Considering earlier prosumers newer models have always had some new features (althought sometimes just small ones) but they always retained good features of older models.
And now A200 throws away so many good features of Minolta's prosumer serie and they claim it as successor. That's not very promising!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:01 PM   #5

...And yet the A200 won the DIMA shootout as did the A2 the year before: http://www.bigpicture.net/index2.php...displaynow=yes

I wish they would make a camera that had all that the A200 and the A2 had plus was faster and had 12 X zoom and maybe 2.5" swivel monitor with 1 megapixel resolution (as the A2 viewfinder). But it seems that R&D costs need to be recouped every so often... ; }

Nobody else made much for announcements in the prosumer class this time around either. It seems like the 5 megapixel long zoom IS class will become a little more competitive though. Which means that if sales are brisk enough it could revive the entire prosumer market with confidence and some newer technology could get the R&D $.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote