Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:21 PM   #1

Jeff posted a whole bunch of shots at http://www.dcresource.com/
Clearly the A5 performs worst, I would almost say unacceptable, unsharp, washed out areas and unrealistic colors seem to be the norm here. The Sony is tooo green (as usual). The 2 Canons are kind of equal in this test.

I almost decided to wait for the Z5 to be released in Holland, I'm glad I choose for the A200. Having compared all testshots fromcomparable camerasat dcresource.com I can only conclude the A200 does a fine job.
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:41 PM   #2

If it is the same as with my Z3 they do look a bit pale compared to some canon and/or kodak cameras. I do however find that the colors from these Z series are in fact very realistic. If the sky is not cobalt blue, you wont see such a sky in your pictures. Rememer it is still not spring; colors are dull this time of the year. A lot of P&S cameras have exaggurated blue green and red. Check out DSLR cameras, their colors are more neutral a well. The Z series also have a vivid color mode that cranck up the colors.

As for the sharpness.. yes it should have seen better. I've seen better on other sites
freubelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:40 PM   #3

The KM philosophy seems to be to apply less in-camera sharpening and saturation boosting than most others. Perhaps this is under the assumption that many people might some day like or even prefer realistic color ; } ...or that people who use image processing will find that the files then are better to work with.

Incidentally, KM have snagged DIMA awards again this year, and it might be largely because of their conservative in-camera processing approach.

http://www.bigpicture.net/index2.php...displaynow=yes

I wouldn't read too much into anyone's casual photos anyway. I would however place some trust in IMATEST data. Some is available for the Z5 and it shows that it has quite decent image quality for the 5 megapixel class.

EDIT: Damn, my typing suxxx ; }
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:33 AM   #4

Fair enough. I hate people who complain about everything they lay there hands on. Or claim 'mine is better than yours'. I have those feelings in the A200 space as I own one...

However, just compare the images I refered to. The A5's are clearly unsharp and lack a lot of detail. I'm not sure if that is related to the lack of in-camera sharpening KM seems to leave to the photoshoppers amongst us.
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:16 AM   #5

Feh, I'm not going to defend the pictures nor am I going to attack them. But I've seen quality pictures from the Z5 shot by early buyers, and looked at the IMATEST data, and know I will be able to take good pics with it if I buy it.

I hear you on the A200 too. Same thing. Many lackluster photos have been shown from it and from the A2 also. But some of the best non-DSLR galleries I've found have been shot on these cameras. So it still comes down to the shooter and hopefully the tool doesn't preclude any approach he/she might want to try in-camera or after the fact. In that respect I think KM makes it easier because they don't apply so much skewed saturation and sharpening which for the person who wants to image process can distinctly be a problem.

And for printing, I'd say one is almost always going to want to do image processing. Better that the camera firmaware hasn't made some hard-to-reverse decisions. Perhaps that's why KM wins these DIMA shootouts, which involve printing too...
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:33 AM   #6

For a pricetag of ~400 Euros, I find the Z% produces "realistic" colors and has a lot to offer in terms of shooting performance.

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...amp;forum_id=7

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...amp;forum_id=7

Best whishes

~^..^~

Bear

laughingbear is offline   Reply With Quote