Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:05 AM   #1

Does anyone know of a source of Japanese manufactured high capacity NP-800 or EN-EL! batteries in the UK please? There are some on ebay at 900maH but I'm sure I've seen some somewhere rated at over 1000maH. It was a sad day when someone invented the Li-ion cell!
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:25 AM   #2

I have just purchased 2 EN-EL1 standard capacity batteries from www.amazon.co.uk at a very competitive price.

Although I have not checked the pricing of the high capacity versions, I would expect that two standard capacity batteries are likely to provide more power than one high capacity battery. You might find 2 standard bats cheaper than 1 high capacity bat!

I have also seen some other (unsubstantiated) postings which cast doubt on the spec and benefits of the "high capacity" batteries. This might be worth checking.
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:31 AM   #3

Hello bacs - Well, yes - what you say makes a lot of sense I suppose. Really I just wanted to make sure I didn't run out of power at a critical time - not that I am faced with all that many 'critical times' - but you know what it's like, the shot of a lifetime comes along and bang, the battery has gone dead!

I'veseen criticism of non-Japanese batteries, that's about all.

OK - I'll think about it. There are some good deals on ebay for EN-EL1swith a dual purpose (car and home) charger right now.

I hope it's warmer where you are than over here!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4

I offer some experience and have a question. I bought two 800mAh Delkin batteries (made in china). I don't have what I consider enough expereince to have firm convictions about the batteries. But after charging the Delkins, I set the camera to 5 frame sequence shots and while I worked, I hit the trigger every so often. I got 390 shots before the red battery warning appeared. That convinced me the Delkins weren't worthless. I have not tried the same with the original Minolta battery. I took all three battereis, charged 10 days ago, on a below freezing hike. The minolta battery had already shot about 100 pictures, and after a couple hours in the cold (and dozens of shots), the red warning came on. I switched to the delkins, both of which gave a battery exhausted message. So in that instance (cold), theMinolta showed red warning when the Delkins were exhausted so I think the Minolta was a little better. After warming to room temp, all three batteries showed as charged in the camera!

So my question: any advice for cold weather shooting? I had no trouble in similar weather with NiH batteries I used in my Fuji s602. I suppose I can carry hand warmers, but are there any batteries or battery packs for the A200 that hold up in the cold?

Best, Cliff
reiterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:03 PM   #5

I hope the NiH thread as an alternate power source continues -- I'm interested in that. But I have abit more to offer expereince wise with Lithium batteries with the A200. I havethe original Minolta battery, and a pair each of Delkin and Dynamic power batteries. My experience on nice days is to get 200+ shot with the original battery, less on cold days. So the belownumbers may be useful for comparing batteries, but not for expected number of shots in real use (unless youlike to take thousands of pictures of your bookshelf). Here is an indoors shoot out (fully charged batteries, shoot multishot H, P, Xfin, LCD, Antishake on, approx 1/3 sec) number of shots until low battery and red low battery:

Low Red on MD make

735 1030 610 Minolta (800) (~$42)

210 395 NA Delkin (800) (~$30)

565 885 530 Dynamic Power (850) (~$21)

Note, I feel the Dynamic Power might have been at a slight disadvantage due to the sun (on my shade) being higher in the sky and file sizes being larger. Ie, it would look better if I measured MB of images, not number of images.

Thought I would share my experience

Best, Cliff
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:56 PM   #6

Hi Cliff,

I notice you are popping a few more shots on thedigitalpick site - there was one which I particularly liked but I can't recal which one now. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the website.

You don't seem to be doing too badly with the batteries but I have nothing to compare your results with. I don't take anything like as many shots as you do - I was out today and took 40, for instance. I've noticed though that the processing interval - between the 'click' and the red lights going off - can vary enormously according to picture content, so preseumably battery life will be affected by this variable as well as others like ambient temperature. You seem to do a lot of outside work BELOW 0degC ! I stay inside when it's that cold!

Best wishes

Frank

Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:11 AM   #7

Guys, does your camera body have a port into which you could plug an AC adapter? My DiMage A2 does.

If so, all you have to do is make/modify an external battery pack you can wear under your jacket. Then just run the wire out to the camera's external port. NOTE: be sure to have the positive/negative polarity correct.

Later.

Terry
TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:09 AM   #8

Hi Terry - Yes - there's a 6volt input socket OK. In fact see the thread further up about the very thing you mentioned (A200 - power input spec)! You'd be very welcome on the thread.

Are you using NiMH cells in your version, I wonder?

When I started this thread I wasjust wondering if there was a decent Li-ion battery made which compared a little better to the performance of 'ordinary' rechargeables. These little Li-ions are pathetic!!!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:03 AM   #9

reiterc wrote:
Quote:
...thousands of pictures of your bookshelf). Here is an indoors shoot out (fully charged batteries, shoot multishot H, P, Xfin, LCD, Antishake on, approx 1/3 sec) number of shots until low battery and red low battery:

Low Red on MD make
565 885 530 Dynamic Power (850) (~$21) [2G Microdrive]

810 1170 (685) Dynamic Power using Kingston Elite Pro 2G.

Looking at these figures (and above ones) I suspect that the image size plays a major role and I could come up with some fairer measure (lens cap pictures?). But I think I'm done with battery testing for now, but wanted to add the better figures for the Dynamic Power since I did redo that test with the Kingston card.

Best, Cliff
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:04 PM   #10

hi , i have a question (and i hope it's not a stupid one).

The NP-800 and theEN-EL1 , do they use the same charger that comes with the a200 , or will i need to buy a new charger compatible with the EN-EL1 if i want to use it with my camera ?

thanks.

Erez
grayart is offline   Reply With Quote