Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:56 PM   #1

I installed the firmware hack and took a shot in auto exposure mode (in Eco+RAW) and the resulting file after processing by 'Raw to Nef' and opening in photoshop, was glorious. But tried the same thing in full manual exoposure mode and all I got was a noisy, bright, truncated image! The file size was right, around 5.7mb but the image consisted of only the top left corner (compared to the Jpeg).

Why would this be? If it was corrupted it wouldn't open at all. And does the Raw to Nef settings have to be updated all the time, before each use?

Cheers David
DAvid McSween is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:04 PM   #2

Hi

I know what you mean. I also have a Z2 with RAW-firmware, and have seen the same you are talking about. This is typical of using burst-progressive mode (also UHS), bracketing, and noise reduction. Even if burst mode is enabled but you take only one photo (so in practice burst mode is not used), this will be useless.

Maybe you have one of these options selected in manual mode, so when you select this mode the RAW is useless because of this. Be sure that in manual mode you don't have enabled any of these options, it should work.

Take a look at my Z2-RAW samples page if you want: http://usuarios.lycos.es/mato34foto/...w/ejemplos.htm

No greats things but a few samples are shown, and also there is a image of what it happens to you: http://usuarios.lycos.es/mato34foto/...ICT0138Raw.JPG

Hope this will help you. Cheers
Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:47 PM   #3

Thankyou VERY much Mato. That makes it much clearer to me. I thought that the long exposure was corrupting the image but I remeber that noise reduction was turned on. I tried taking a shot of the moon and found that I had to shoot at just 1/30th sec f4 so camera didnt use NR at all, but star exposure at 30sec was ruined by NR. I found that the moon was hard to focus even at infinity,,because it was soooo bright.

Cheers David
DAvid McSween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:41 AM   #4

About the moon... I also take a pair of shots at the moon last week, and found that I had to use an important shutter speed. This was the best photo I could get, the EXIF info is:

Make - NIKON Konica Minolta Camera, Inc.
Model - E8700 DiMAGE Z2
Software - Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
DateTime - 2005:02:20 21:25:39
ExifOffset - 260
ExposureTime - 1/640 seconds
FNumber - 3.70
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 50
FocalLength - 63 mm

This image is cropped, obviously.

See you.
Attached Images