Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1

It takes my A2 just over 40 seconds to write a RAW file to a Sandisk Extreme 1 Gb card. That's a heck of a long time. Anyone have a similar or dissimilar experience with the A2? Is this normal or is there something I can do. Or should I have the camera serviced?
DanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:28 PM   #2

Depending on how busy the scene is my A2 currently writes raw to my Lexar 80x 1gb card at between 13 (ceiling with very little detail) and 17 seconds (living room, lots of detail).

40 seconds does seem too long, more like using a 'standard' card of 2x/4x than an Extreme. With a write speed of 9mb/sec = 60x, this card (Extreme)should not be causing any bottleneck and allowing the camera to perform at it's maximum. Even my Lexar 40x512mb performs near enough the same as my 80x.

Before considering sending your camera in I would be inclined to try another card of the same or similar spec as your Extreme first, or try your card in another A2. If you don't have immediate access to these options perhaps you could try your local Camera retailer. Ask to try your card in their A2 or their card in your A2, suggesting that you may purchase a new card from them if this is the problem.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:31 AM   #3

OK, I just bought an 80x Lexar CF 1Gb card so I could work faster with MRW files.

I'm now going to test the RAW write times on the Lexar and then the same scene on a standard SanDisk card and a Lexar 4x.

pause ........................

Results =

Lexar 80x CF: 11 sec

Lexar 4x CF: 12 sec

SanDisk standard CF: 14 sec

Gee, I spent a lot of money for a one or two second gain, didn't I? Will see what it's like in actual use and report back here.

Later.
TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:08 AM   #4

Which camera Terry ? Obviously the same card will perform differently in different cameras but you got some good times there.

To date, I don't think there are any cameras that would fully utilize something like the Lexar 80x or the newer Sandisk Extreme III, which I think is rated at 133x. My understanding is that my Dimage A2 would be reasonably happy with something between 24x and 40x. The reason for my purchase of an 80x was that the cost, at the time anyway, was not too much more than my 40x, and in any case the 40x have become few and far between. Although I have not used a 4x or anything close to it, I think the faster cards would be better for the video function and of course much quicker when uploading to computer via USB2.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:35 AM   #5

Stevekin, since the subject of this forum was "A2 RAW File Write Time" I didn't think to mention my camera was an A2.

It is a valid point that fast cards work better for the video function but since I never planned to use it that wasn't one of my reasons to purchase the 80x chip. But future equipment will most likely be able to take advantage of higher speeds I thought the investment was a prudent one.

Terry
TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:49 PM   #6

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out TerryThomas, unfortunately I've had five days since that post to realize what a stupid question it was. :roll:

Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:16 PM   #7

Stevekin, disregard my PM on this very subject; should have read the board before I asked you. So then, this slow write time for RAW in the A2 seems to be systemic eh?

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:49 AM   #8

Afraid so Derrall. Because of this the A2 could really have done with a larger buffer, as it stands now I can only take two consecutive shots and have to wait for approx 11 seconds for the next !

As you now know, raw + jpeg takes longer and is not supported with the buffer. One shot, then wait till it's written before the next.

This is a good review on the A2, the link takes you straight to the Shutter lag and cycle times, but the rest of the review is worth a read.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A2/A2A7.HTM

By the way, the A1 has the same lens as the A2 and will take the TCON with a step up ring the same as the A2. (49mm to 55mm.) As far as I am aware.

Best,

Stevekin.

Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:16 PM   #9
E.T

Some high-end cards of few manufacturers work slower than their "cheap" cards.

For example Kingston Elite Pro seems to s**k while normal Kingston is one of the fastest with A2, excluding some cards of that model made in Taiwan.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11905637

My bet is that these weird speed differences have something to do with controllerchip used in card.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:13 PM   #10

I've just bought a Scandsk Ultra II which I understand is rated at 66x and I get write times of around 17 sec

Ive also got a PQI Hi Speed - not sure if this is 25x or 40x and the times are the same

Also a Fuji card which I think is 20x and still 17 sec

Shooting a plain white card doesnt reduce my write times. Doesn't seem that the camera can take advantage of faster cards - anyone any thoughts? I'd love to know how is Terry getting those faster times?

regards

Gidders
gidders is offline   Reply With Quote