Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:20 AM   #1

I got a Z3 after having a Z1 and can't say I'm really happy with it, The flash seems weaker, takes longer to charge and it's ability to focus indoor seems worse then the Z1.

Thinking of taking it back.

I tried taking a number of photos in a pretty well lit pub in London and wasn't really happy with the shots nor the camera's ability to even focus. No idea why Minolta didn't put an IR Assist light on this, my Canon SLR that bought over 10 years ago had one.

Is there anything I can try bfore returning it, without buying an external flash for it.

For instance turning off certain feature such as antishake to improve focus time in lower light conditions and improve flash recharging times?

DeeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2

I'm beginning to think the key with MANY cameras is just to be good at manual focusing for those types of indoor situations. But since the viewfinders and LCDs are often not very high in resolution it helps if they have a zoom-to-focus mode, and/or that the user understands the hyperfocal principle, which takes advantage of greater depths of field at wider angles.

I can't recall where I first read a good paper on that but there's some articles about the hyperfocal approach here:

http://www.dofmaster.com/
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:11 AM   #3

greenboy wrote:
Quote:
I'm beginning to think the key with MANY cameras is just to be good at manual focusing for those types of indoor situations. But since the viewfinders and LCDs are often not very high in resolution it helps if they have a zoom-to-focus mode, and/or that the user understands the hyperfocal principle, which takes advantage of greater depths of field at wider angles.

I can't recall where I first read a good paper on that but there's some articles about the hyperfocal approach here:

http://www.dofmaster.com/

I got my hands on a Nikon d70 boy what a heck of a difference in taking photos both in low light and total darkness compare to the Z3 - the Nikon has a bright light which comes on to help it focus and it make a huge difference, of course it's a much mor expensive camera about 3 times more in price but somehow I doubt the idea of a lamp onthe camera is rocket science, even many camera mobile phones have this now, so why not the Minolta's. I plan to return my Z3, no point in having a camera that ony works in the day time.
DeeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:05 PM   #4

I'm afraid i'm with you on this one DeeInLondon. I'm very disappointed with the same problems. I just wish I'd found out before it was too late to take back. I'm trying to get a CameraBright (http://www.camerabright.com) but haven't found a UK supplier yet. I've emailed the site to see if they'll sell transAtlantic. Hopefuly this add-on will do the job of what SHOULD be on the camera in the first place.

Cheers

YT
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 3:21 AM   #5

I posted any earlier thread regarding tricking the Z3's light-metering here:
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...27&forum_id=20

In both shots the camera light-metering was set on centered. I still don't fully understand what happened there or if this will always work in future low-light shots.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
I'm afraid i'm with you on this one DeeInLondon. I'm very disappointed with the same problems. I just wish I'd found out before it was too late to take back. I'm trying to get a CameraBright (http://www.camerabright.com) but haven't found a UK supplier yet. I've emailed the site to see if they'll sell transAtlantic. Hopefuly this add-on will do the job of what SHOULD be on the camera in the first place.

Cheers

YT
....and another here!! Bought the Z3 after using my dads Z1 thinking I would improve my shots! As the bulk of my pics are taken at concerts I'm stuffed with the Z3 - even an outdoor shot of the family in snow on a dull afternoon was very grainy....Im going to have a go with some of the manual settings as I am usually an Auto kind of girl, but I might have to doa deal with daddy....
Adventure2 is offline   Reply With Quote