Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1

Hi All KMers,

I am looking to buy a good UV/protection filter for my A200 (I don't care too much about the UV part) … especially in regards to vignetting. I've tried a Tiffen 49mm Haze1 and it's awful @ wide angle. Any experience with Cokin, Tiffen and Hoya filters as these brands are easier to get @ local stores?

Best

KMA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:04 PM   #2

http://www.2filter.com

B+W MRC 010 F Pro 49mm filter $32 plus shipping. and no vignette this is a high quality multicoated filter

it has been residing on my A1 for 2 years now. you cannot stack filters on this lens. anything over 4mm will start to show up in the corners.

if you do not get at least a MC filter you are doing your lens and pictures a injustice. an uncoated or poorly coated filter will increase you chance for flare considerably. i advise sticking with either hoya or B+W for consistent quality.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:15 PM   #3

http://photofilter.net/shopsite_sc/s...tml/index.html

is also a highly regarded online store with low shipping costs. I have a Kenko MC which is supposedly the same as the Hoyas.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:20 AM   #4

Yes I noticed. I just bought one of those fluffy rubber lens hoods in which you can mount the BW filter. The hood appears in the corners below about 60mm or so. That really sucks. The reason I bought it is becaue I permanently leave the plastic hood on just for comfort. But with that bulky standard one you have the problem while using the flash, a dark area appears at the bottom of pics within a certain zoom range.

Question: do you really need the big lens hood or can you leave it off? When will you get sun reflection problems, what's your experience?
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

I chose the Hoya SHMC Pro1 and I must say it's a whole different story compared to Tiffen. Thanks for your suggestions/links.
KMA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:13 PM   #6

KMA200 wrote:
Quote:
I am looking to buy a good UV/protection filter for my A200 (I don't care too much about the UV part) … especially in regards to vignetting. I've tried a Tiffen 49mm Haze1 and it's awful @ wide angle. Any experience with Cokin, Tiffen and Hoya filters as these brands are easier to get @ local stores?
You'll need to get the slim Minolta filter which will minimise vignetting BUT not totally prevent it.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:31 PM   #7

I tried all sorts of filters... finally ended up with an 49 - 62 step up ring and 62mm polariser - just ordinary thick one- and a new lens cap. No vignetting at all even at 28mm. The same applies to other filters. Step up ring is also recommended by KM! At the moment looking at buing 62mm rubber lens hood... which I hope will cause no vignetting either. Have to try yet...
maros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:32 PM   #8

I got a Quantaray from Ritz camera for abot $15. The salesguy claimed that he thought they ware manfactured by Hoya, but I'm not sure... Anyway, I don't get vignetting with it unless I stack my polarizer on top of it. I use one or the other most of the time.