Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

Nowhere can I find details of the write-speed capabilities of the A200 - or any similar camera if it comes to that. I appreciate that it's always a good idea to buy the latest and best if possible, but is there any REAL advantage in getting (say) the much vaunted Sandisk Extreme III CF cards for the A200? Somewhere I read that KM configured their camera around a 40x card, so is this the limit, I wonder?

Opinions and advice most welcome, folks !
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:08 PM   #2

I think fastest is a good idea, especially if you can get the fasted for the price you're willing to pay. I have the Sandisk Extreme III 2GB in my A200 and it runs faster than my Lexar 256mb 80x. No problems at all, happy
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:46 AM   #3

I wish I could stop waking at 5.30 am.

Thanks, red. I imagined that this would be the case. If you run across any figures I'd be grateful if you would give me a nudge. I'll probably go for the Ex III card in the end, like you.

I didn't respond to your 'favourite settings' thread because, like many others I think, I don't really have a favourite yet- it all depends, etc...

Best wishes
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:43 AM   #4
stk

Hi,

I asked this question of KM technical support a few days ago and they said the camera has a max speed of 40x and there isn't any benefit above this. I though the Sandisk Ultra II, about 10M/s was a 60x.

Iam also about to buy a new cardso I would also be really interested in anyone who has figures for a faster card like the Sandisk Extreme compared with a 60x

Cheers

Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:14 AM   #5
E.T

Phranque wrote:
Quote:
Somewhere I read that KM configured their camera around a 40x card, so is this the limit, I wonder?
Basing on image writing times in reviews real writing speed is under 1 MBps.

And this speed "coefficient" of CFs is comparable to CD-ROM drives. (1x=150 kBps)

redSP wrote:
Quote:
I think fastest is a good idea, especially if you can get the fasted for the price you're willing to pay. I have the Sandisk Extreme III 2GB in my A200 and it runs faster than my Lexar 256mb 80x.
KM must have made some changes to electronics/firmware, in Dpreview's forum there's lot of post about Sandisk III being extremely slow in previous model, A2. (3x writing time compared to some cards like Lexar)
Or then Sandisk has made some changes to card's controller chip.

Well, in every case at least Lexar 80x should already have quite nice speed for copying photos to PC, I purchased it with A2 which I should have in couple days. :-)

Too bad there isn't any site with speeds of different cards with newer Minolta's prosumers.
(like there is for older prosumers)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:40 AM   #6

Reading the results of tests on the very comprehensive Rob Gailbrath site at:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7303

it is easy to conclude that the limiting factor is indeed the camera and that there is no big difference in write speed for most of thebetter cards - i.e.40/60x to 133x - at least no difference that would make you jump for joy.

Perhaps the only reason to buy a faster card is that cameraswill certainlywrite faster in a year or two and a faster card may come into its own. I'm sure the 'megabucks' cameras do this already.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:04 AM   #7

I just got a Lexar 80x 1Gb CF card for my A2 and will put it to "real world" tests. I shoot PR/advertising shots on movie sets & intheaters. Will report the results back here. I love the A2 on movie sets because it's almost dead quiet (no mirror slap). The only noise is a slight click when the aperturestops down. I shooton atripod at ISO 200 or slower(to reduce noise) withcompression set to Extra Fine.For scenes when I'm shooting near a microphone I designed and custom built a "blimp" to absorb any noise.

To see some A2 images atone of themovie's web sites: http://www.psychopathia.com

BTW, somewhere in the A2 manual it says the fastest way to write is get a KM adapter so you can use aSD(?) chip in the CF slot. (Could have been one of the other tiny memory chips but never bought any as they were too expensive.)

I did read in a British digital photo mag that KM didn't license Write Accelerated (WA) technology. Gee, I wonder how muchTHAT would have cost them?

Later, Terry

TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:07 AM   #8
E.T

TerryThomas_Atlanta wrote:
Quote:
I just got a Lexar 80x 1Gb CF card for my A2 and will put it to "real world" tests.
Basing on my own experiences you won't be disappointed... bought it with my A2 which I got week ago and it really seems to be one of the fastest working cards for A2 compared to timings of few different cards in Dpreview.
(what I read from there Kingston Elite and especially Sandisk Extreme III seems to be lousy at working with A2)

I think it might be good to have sticky thread dedicated only for timings of different cards, just for posting camera model, CF brand and type and timing... nothing else to keep thread clear.
Or if someone would put up and maintain page which would have timings reported by people and found from other places. (like there's that one old site for 7-serie)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:08 PM   #9

I have the Extreme III and I don't know what you consider lousy but I'm very satisfied compared to my Lexar 40x card.

Some timings- shot to next shot/series (not scientific):

1 jpeg 8mp extra fine: < 1s
continuous 5x jpeg 8mp extra fine: < 4.5s
hs continuous 5x jpeg 8mp extra fine: < 4.5s

1 raw 8mp extra fine: < 3s
continuous5x raw 8mp extra fine: < 14s
hs continuous 5x raw 8mp extra fine: < 16s

Very interested in your timings, testing this only takes a couple of minutes!
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:50 AM   #10

Surely the taking conditions for any tests have to be standardised for any comparison to be of use. I find that some (busy) shots take ages to complete whilst a shot of something plain and simple completes very quickly.

The idea from E.T. is a good one. Having said that I have no idea what to suggest as a target to which everyone has access.