Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:13 PM   #1

I read somewhere that all you have to do to see if your camera sees Infrared light (and doesn't have an IR block filter), is to point a TV remote, or something similar,at the camera and see if you can see the IR light coming from the remote. So, last night I took a whole bunch of remotes and turned on my DiMAGE 7Hi, and all of them showed up clearly on the viewfinder as little flashing lights. I tried the same thing with my DiMAGE S414, and my friends DiMAGE Z2, all were able to see the IR light coming from the remotes. I also looked at the IR eye sensor on my DiMAGE 7Hi with my friends Z2, and I could clearly see the light blinking from the sensor. I then turned on my Sony video camera with IR nightshot mode on (where it turns on an infrared "spotlight") and I could see the IR light coming from the video camera with my 7Hi, my friends Z2, and my S414. I could also (if I got really close) see the light that the sony videocamera put out on the subject.

Now, if any of you really read that, and it made any sense. . . Shouldn't I be able to get an IR ND filter, and take infrared pictures with my 7Hi, S414, and Z2??:?:
Thanks!
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2

Yes, I'm not sure about this either, because my Z2 also can see IR. If the remotes actually use IR beams. I would think so, but what about the IR blocking filter? I thought the 7hi and all of the other camera had that filter except for the DiMADGE 7 (I think that's the one, but I'm not sure). So does the blocking filter only work when you are using an IR ND filter? :?:
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:57 AM   #3

I can't say I have the definitive answer, but have read that the D7 is suitable for IR, but later cameras are not.

I also tried the experiment with tv remote, and could see the light in the EVF. Also turned out room lights, and viewed the remotes with the EVF in low light (B&W) mode. The light was MUCH brighter then.(even relative to other objects) I should have followed up and actually taken pictures to view, but didn't. When turning out room lights, I could hear a click from the camera when the EVF went into gain-up mode. I think what happens, is that when the light level is low enough, the IR blocking filter is physically moved out of the light path. From what I have read, though, it moves back in place when taking still picture. Not sure about movies.

Brian

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:27 AM   #4

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I can't say I have the definitive answer, but have read that the D7 is suitable for IR, but later cameras are not.

I also tried the experiment with tv remote, and could see the light in the EVF. Also turned out room lights, and viewed the remotes with the EVF in low light (B&W) mode. The light was MUCH brighter then. (even relative to other objects) I should have followed up and actually taken pictures to view, but didn't. When turning out room lights, I could hear a click from the camera when the EVF went into gain-up mode. I think what happens, is that when the light level is low enough, the IR blocking filter is physically moved out of the light path. From what I have read, though, it moves back in place when taking still picture. Not sure about movies.

Brian

For some reason, my D7Hi never went into "night mode" when I was looking at the remote. but I do have Color pictures AND video of the remote light flashing. . .so I dunno.
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:40 AM   #5

What about the KM A2? Can it see IR?

For cameras which do see IR does this mean we can make a focus assist light that is IR instead of normal? This would come in great when shooting a party or some other event in fairly dark conditions when a normal bright light would "blind" the subject.

Something to consider...

P.S.

There's a guy in Germany which adaptsyour BP-400 by adding two bright LEDs to function as focus assist. Contact Sunny at the below address:

Sunnylight: [email protected]
TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:01 AM   #6

Just wanted to report that my z1 can also see the light emitted by my TV & HomeTheater / XBOX Remotes. FWIW what is IR Photography anyway?
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:12 PM   #7

4 pictures comeing... S414
UMCP campus normal color photo
Attached Images

kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:13 PM   #8

normal photo black and white
Attached Images

kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:14 PM   #9

looking through a kodak "89b" gel filter iso200 1/20sec f3.0