Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:41 AM   #1

I have just puchased a TCON-17 x1.7 tele for my A200. All I need now is the 49-55mm adaptor and some practice. But I also need answers to my question:......

Do I need to make any special setting oradjustment to ensure good focusand exposure whilst the tele is attached? If so, then please explain. Also, will any such adjustments differ from adjustments which might be needed for the Minolta dedicated ACT-100?

Maurice
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:54 AM   #2

There is a setting on the a200 in camera setup menu 1 called: "lens acc", where you indicate to the camera whether you have a wide or tele lens converter attached to the camera. I know you are supposed to use this setting with the Minolta ACT-100 telephoto lens adapter attached, not sure about other brands. I'm sure a little experimentation with this setting will give you the definitive answer.

Just curious, as I am looking into a tele converter myself, why did you buy an Olympus model and not the Minolta ACT-100 lens?
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3

If I may offer my reason for buying a TCON-17................Half the price, nearly half the weight than the ACT-100 and favorable comments from other users. Like looking down a long tunnel at the wide end but only slight vignetting at the long end, which is where it should be when used anyway.

I think the reason thecamera should be set for telephoto in the Acc menu is to give the correct focal length details in the Exif, but this would only work with the ACT as the ACT is 1.5x and the TCON is 1.7x.You should also flick theMacro switch, I think that is only to keep the lens from sliding home with the Tcon or ACT attached, I'm notsure if there is any other reason.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:06 PM   #4

Thanks Stevekin, anybody else?
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:48 AM   #5

Stevekin has beaten me to the post.

My reasons are:

1. about half the weight

2. about half the price

3. I see form this and other forums that other A2/A200 owners use the TCON-17 successfully

4. x1.7 takes the focal length up to 340mm equivalent whereas the ACT-100 is 1.5x which take the fl up to 300mm equivalent.

5. the step up ring is available and inexpensive.

Good luck.

Maurice
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:52 AM   #6

I've been pleased with the ACT-100 although I agree it is pretty heavy. I have carried it in a mesh water bottle pocket in my pack and also in a waistpack -- neither were a burden -- both make it immediately available. Here is a link (posted before) with some sample pictures --last two show what the ACT-100 can do.

http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~reiterc/te...0_z/index.html

I used a Raynox 1850 Pro with my Fujifilm 602 -- it was OK -- some purple fringing but I did get some nice bird eating squirrel type pictures with that combo.

For the A200, I went with the KM lenes because they were designed for the camera (I had good experiences with the Nikon addon lenes for the 900 and 990) and I bought the KM lenesfor $99 each which was about what I paid for the Raynox. I don't any experience with the T-CON.

I posted other ACT pictures from the A200 at http://www.digitalpick.com/but it is down right now. I am especially pleased with the picture there of a squirrel sitting in a tree but where I can make out my house, garage and me as reflections in the squirrel's eye.

Best, Cliff
reiterc is offline   Reply With Quote