Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 2, 2005, 2:04 AM   #51

The moon is lighted by sunlight so the old rule used for decades will work well. Thats using the ISO as shutter speed and f/16 as apeture. Your best results would probably be 200 mm, f/4 at about 1/800.
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:39 AM   #52

I Phranque

Thanks for the advice, although I've read it late. But luckily I had to stay at my parent's home that weekend because they we're on travel and someone had to stay with the dogs, cats... So I took my camera with me and yes, played a lot with the moon those nights.

I'll put some photo of the moon, I realised that it seemed really bigger, but didn't know anything about distance or something like that.

As an important thing I did several tries with auto and manual focus.

First of all I was locking focus with auto focus and immediately after looking at wich position was on manual focus. Result was that it was fixed not at infinity, but between the 4th and 6th positons nearest to infinity.

Later on I made a serie of shoth using manual focus from infinity to the 10th position away from it (that is: first photo with focus at inf., second one with focus one step down from inf. third one focused two steps down...). Results were similar to those using auto/manual: best focusing appeared near the 5th position (or step) down from inf.

That surprised me as I thought that 380.000 Km was far away to consider them as "infinity", but results are clear for me, with a clearly out-of-focus and blurry image with macro at infinity.

Well, enough of taht. Here is one of that original photos of the moon, and also one of the cathedral of Palma, in Mallorca.

See you!

P.S: I must say that I'm not a "moon photograph", it's just a mere game :G

See you.
Attached Images

Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:52 AM   #53

And here is that photo of the cathedral... could attach both images.

BTW the camera is a Z2, both images were taken in RAW mode. Here is the important EXIF data of them:

Moon shot:

ImageDescription -
Make - NIKON Konica Minolta Camera, Inc.
Model - E8700 DiMAGE Z2
ExposureTime - 1/100 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 50

Cathedral:

ImageDescription -
Make - NIKON Konica Minolta Camera, Inc.
Model - E8700 DiMAGE Z2
ExposureTime - 1/3 seconds
FNumber - 3.20
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 50

Bye!
Attached Images

Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:04 AM   #54

And another night shot of the Bay Bridge in San Francisco:

Howard
howardka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 1:10 AM   #55

What a great moon rise tonight! It almost looked like a Harvest Moon! This was taken with the camera sitting on the deck railing at using the night shot selection. This was taken at 10 pm but it doesn't look like it!

Barb
Attached Images

sophiafatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 4:45 PM   #56

An Iridium flare.

Brief sunlight reflection from one of the polished antennae of the slowly rotating communications satellite Iridium 18. North is at lower left of shot. Very visible at magnitude -6, 23.30hrs local time.

A200, F5.6 set at 75mm, unretouched. The 25-second exposure elongates star images just a little. A Manfrotto tripod greatly helped in setting up azimuth and altitude (only 19deg) prior to shooting. The 'squiggle', lower left, at the start of the transit is 'finger trouble'.was my fault – finger trouble!
Attached Images

Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:18 PM   #57

Hi newbie here that needs help. i have been looking at the moon shots here and they are incredible! I have a Minolta A200 and also have a 2x tele-converter. For the life of me i can not get a clear focus picture of the moon as some here have. and tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated. i know the camera can do it but i cant seem to
Attached Images

mikes2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:15 AM   #58
stk

My first attempt at Lightning.

We don't get much in the Uk, but this was from a storm last Tuesday night..

F7.1, 20 sec. ASA100, no post processing except a small crop. The red cast is from lightning in the clouds

Note that I turned noise reduction off to minimise the gap between shots, so there a few spots to remove!

Cheers
Steve

Attached Images

stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:17 AM   #59
stk

and the second...
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:58 PM   #60
stk

Hi Mikes2005

Actually not a bad shot. It's very difficult to get a sharp shot with a full moon as the lighting is face on so there are no shadows. Try a half moon,The sunn will then cast shadows from hills and into cratersand will give more contrast and an apparently sharper picture (and you can sharpen easier).

Use a tripod if possible, AS OFF, spot expose on the moonand underexpose a stop.
Use F7.1 or F6.3, these are sharper than F3.5 or F8, F9. Using the remote release will further help reduce any camera shake.

Finally, use manual focus to infinity. On some cameras you apparently need to focus a bit off infinity, but with my A200, infinity is good.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve