Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:34 AM   #1

With apologies ifsomething like this has been suggested elsewhere - I've done a search and cannot find anything like it.

I wanted to use my A200 in 'remote' mode concealednext toa bird table in my garden, but the infrared remote control which comes with the A200 is very limiting both in range and acceptance angle. I have found that this can be extended greatly by employing as intermediary one of those TV remote control extenders which converts the I/R signal to a radio frequency, transmits this at about 2.4Ghz, and then reconverts at the receiver end to an I/R signal. The receiver 'sticky pad' is simply put over the A200 I/R sensor and away you go - through brick walls, down the garden - anywhere within radio range which in my case is about 30metres!

Almost any similar radio device should do the job but it'smore portableif it has sockets to allow a simple DC power supply to be plugged into boththe transmitter and receiver units. I am using a Tevion MD 4687 from Aldi which I am sure cost no more than £30, so we don't even have to pay inflated camera shop prices for this. The unit requires 9volts dc at 400m/a for the receiver and 12volts dc at 200 m/a for the transmitter but this is easy to construct with a few NiMH cells in a suitable holder. The audio and video connections can be ignored, of course, all you need is the remote control signal.

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:02 PM   #2

Using the above equipment - at about 10mtrs. Camera was about 1mtr from the bird.

Not a masterpiece, but it's a start!
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

Great idea Phranque!

Could you (with a different camera) take a picture of your setup? I am having trouble visualizing all of it. I don't understand how the other remote can trigger the camera... or am I just dense?

Barb
sophiafatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 5:33 PM   #4

HiBarb,

Yes, OK. I'll tidy it up a little and borrow another camera to take a shot or three. That'll have to be tomorrow, I'm off to bed now!

Nite

zzzzzz Frank
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:38 PM   #5

A little experiment - I've drawn a diagram, not to scale, of how it works. Let's see if it comes out reasonably on the forum. Then I really MUST hit the sheets.....
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:49 AM   #6

Thanks, Phranque! That really helped. I've shown this to my husband and now his gears are going...what about a remote control for an airplane to extend it even farther???

Your diagrams are great, btw.

Barb
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:52 PM   #7

I have seen a setup using micro rc car controller to control D7x and Ax cameras. Try looking under Members Home pages. It does require a bit of DIY ability.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:07 PM   #8

Barb: Glad the diagram helped a little. Airplane? You must mean a model, not a 747 or something? I've always wanted to put one of my cameras in a model aircraft but I'm no model flyer. I tried once and all I got was crash, crash, crash. It must be possible though. I've used meteorological balloons + hydrogen, but it's just so dangerous I lost my nerve in the end.

Hi Brian: Yes, I did a search on those models and indeed someone was (now discontinued)marketing a kit which had possibilities. I don't think it had I/R retransmitters on the end of wires though and really these are needed. In fact apart from the Tevion TV device I've not unearthed any other 'TV extender' which does. I'm not sure because I am not familiar with the camera, but I think the remote on the A2/A1 cameras is an old mechanical arrangement rather than I/R soI imagine that it'sa bigger job than with the more modern A200 arrangement. Anyway, mine's working well at the moment.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:30 AM   #9

A200 - Latest shot using my radio remote, I 'took it' from inside my kitchen, the camera was just 1.5mtrs from the bird table:
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:52 PM   #10

Great shot, Phranque! Unfortunately if I had a bird table (must be a British term... we would call it a bird feeder) it would be a feeder for our cats and the birdie would be the main course! Do you know what the bird is?

Yes, I did mean a remote control airplane...I was having a brain fade when I wrote that! ;-)

Barb