Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:26 AM   #1

The A200 comes with a TV cable. The cable has a cylindrical attachment in-line near the camera connector. It looks as though it is designed to be opened since the plastic cover has hinges.

What is this and why does it have hinges?

Maurice
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:36 AM   #2

This is a Ferrite Core. It is in place to eliminate any potentially harmful interference (to the camera)when connecting the camera to your TV set. Don't know why it is hinged, perhaps in the event it needs replacing, perhaps it is an add on by KM when maybe theyfound interference was evident, or to enable it's use with other cables.

There is also a smaller version supplied, for A2 owners anyway, to attach to the cable when using the optional Remote cordor the optional Dimage Capture.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:19 AM   #3

Does this mean that connecting the A200 to the TV might cause permanent damage to the camera? I mention this because the ferrite unit is required in order to eliminate damage but in the real world probably only reduces and minimizes damage. It is hard to believe that this is sufficient to eliminate damage completely.
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:32 AM   #4

I would imagine that the addition of the Ferrite Core being a non permanent fixture is more a precautionary measure. If there were to be a 'real world' problem, I'm sure it would be built in to the cable.

I Have viewed my images on the TV without any problems at all, I've had my A2 for approx 9 months with no problems I am aware of.

I should rest easy, and view on the TV if you wish to.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:48 AM   #5

I didn't know it was a ferrite bead, but it does not surprise me. The use of ferritebeads in this way is commonplace, almost any gadget which you buy will have beads or cores sprinkled around all over the show inside and out. It's not so much to prevent some catastrophe which the manufacturer knows is lurking just round the corner,it's all to do with EMC (Electromagnetic compatibility) and is a very sensible precaution with any sensitive gadget, especially one which could be used anywhere at all, perhaps in the vicinity of hefty electromagnetic fields - at a TV transmitter site, for instance. They frequently come split into two identical sections because they are easier to fit to a wire or cable like this, and the bigger they are thebetter they work for reasons that I'm sure you don't want to know! EMC rules and regs are very extensive and help all of us.

Hope this helps.

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote