Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:54 PM   #1

Default D7i says card error-- HELP!

I was taking christmas portraits of my kids, when my D7i automatically turned itself off (to preserve energy I suppose). Anyway, I turned the dial to off and then back to on again, only to have it say "card error". I can't get it to even get past that message. Please help me!
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:16 PM   #2

Try to reformat the card in the camera.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:21 PM   #3

Default D7i "card error"

Thanks for the reply. If I re-format the card, I will lose all my pics, right?

I just remembered that I was trying to delete a mini-movie that I had shot previously in order to have more space on my card. Could that have anything to do with it? The camera will turn on now, and I was able to download the pictures I took, but it still will flash "card error" every so often.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:19 AM   #4

Default Re: D7i "card error"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica
Thanks for the reply. If I re-format the card, I will lose all my pics, right?

I just remembered that I was trying to delete a mini-movie that I had shot previously in order to have more space on my card. Could that have anything to do with it? The camera will turn on now, and I was able to download the pictures I took, but it still will flash "card error" every so often.
Erica, no. You format the card, the FAT ( file allocation table) is erased, but all the datas (thepics) still there. The formating is just to allow the reader to access the card ( if it canít access before), then you can use utilities ( like ę Digital Image Recovery Ľ , there is an old free version somewhere) to retrieve every pics on the card.
But if you still can access the card, of course, download them ASAP, then format and made some intensive test on it.
IMO, the fact that you delete the movie may be the source of problem if the CF is not reliable ( some cheap cards).

Check here if by any chance your CF is among problematic ones :

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...rd_speeds.html

PS: i should say:
" ...to retrieve every not fragmented pics on the card. "
Old Dec 6, 2002, 4:28 PM   #5

Default Help!

Well, I tried to format the card, and it won't work. Any time the camera has to read the card at all, it just says "card error" and turns itself off. Now I've got the read card light continuously flashing and I'm afraid to turn it off, as I don't want to damage my card (any further). What can I do?

BTW, my card is that Viking 512mb that was on sale at Amazon, maybe I just got a bad deal.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 8:43 PM   #6

Since you have saved you images on the card, that is good and now we can try different things.

Try formating the card with your computer. Then put it into the camera and format it again.

There may be something quirky about that movie that the camera just cannot get past. The PC should not have the same limitations. As a general rule, you should not format cards with the PC as most cameras seems to have problems with PC formated cards. However in this case, it may actually help us, but then, assuming the camera can read the card okay, reformat it again with the camera.

Well, it's worth a try anyway :-).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica
Well, I tried to format the card, and it won't work. Any time the camera has to read the card at all, it just says "card error" and turns itself off. Now I've got the read card light continuously flashing and I'm afraid to turn it off, as I don't want to damage my card (any further). What can I do?

BTW, my card is that Viking 512mb that was on sale at Amazon, maybe I just got a bad deal.
Erica,
Well, that card was not reported (bad or good) in that website, so no clue there, unless some reader here experienced it and inform us.
Does you have any problem with other cards? The one came with the camera, or others ?
If not , I assume that the card is the first suspect then.
You can buy another one which you know works well with the D7i ( just post a question to gather info from users here) .
In the same time , you could ask Viking for a replacement CF , I donít think itís a problem for this.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 6:59 AM   #8
NHL

Erica

Follow amazingthailand advice in formatting the card with your computer, but make sure to format it for FAT-16 only, the default is FAT-32 (for 95 2nd edition and up).

The D7's (also most if not all cameras) only use the older DOS FAT-16 for their Digital Camera File (DCF) system, and would be lost if the card was formatted for FAT-32. It would also explain some of the randomness you are having... You could have a bad card, but that's rare!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:24 AM   #9

Oops, sorry. Yes, NHL is absolutely right. Format for FAT16.
From Windows Explorer, Right Click on the CF Card drive letter in the left hand pane and select FORMAT. When the format box opens make sure you select FAT16 (maybe just listed as FAT, depending on OS) before clicking on OKAY.

Hope this works. Good luck.
Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 1:31 AM   #10

Default hope is alive...again

Thank you all for your good ideas & tips, & sorry I didn't reply sooner. I had given up on the card & was getting ready to send it back. Thank you for giving me new hope!

So, can any one tell me how to format the card from the computer, and how to make sure it gets set at FAT16 instead of 32? I would be so thrilled if I could use this card for Christmas instead of being stuck with the 16mb that came with the camera!