Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Question about 7i Resolution vs. Other Cameras

Having read the Noise,Noise,Noise thread, I fearfully submit this question. After reading the review of the 7i on the dpreview site, there is a section on Resolution. Phil Askey says the Sony F707 has the best resolution of the compared cameras, with the 7i having the worst. Then he says that resolution is simply a function of the camera's Bayer interpolation. As a certified Newbie to all of this, I am wondering how important this difference is. I don't own a digital camera yet, but I'm doing the typical research to try to decide which one to buy.
KSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:10 AM   #2
NHL

The real question is do you like what you see, or comfortable with the camera features? We can debate this noise issue until the cow come home and nothing would have change!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3891401

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3898118
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:37 AM   #3

I too read the noise noise noise thread, and got real tired of it real fast. I agree with NHL 1000%. Basically it all comes down to personal likes and dislikes. Do you like what you see, or not. To that end, try to seek out some full size (not webified) images from both cameras and download them. Then you can make your own side by side comparisons.

I have a D7 classic and a Fuji S2. Both deliver stunning images and both do exactly the same job, but differently. So it also comes down to your photographic needs and which camera best fullfills those needs.

Happy hunting.
Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:59 PM   #4

While it's true that everything comes down to subjective preference in the end, there are objective differences between cameras that affect image quality. From what I've seen, I'd say that in real life you can sometimes see the difference in resolution between the Sony and the Minolta, but usually other factors stand out more.

If this worries you much, download some full-sized files of the kinds of shots you intend to take from each camera and do with them what you intend to do with yours--have them printed or look at them on your monitor or whatever--and then judge which you prefer. Try to find some that are taken by people who know how to bring the best out of the camera (you could ask for samples in each forum, here and at dpreview.com).

Also worth keeping in mind is that no two cameras will be able to take the same shots in all cases. You have a wide angle on the Minolta, you have focus assist on the Sony, etc. My own opinion is that the image quality of the Minolta isn't the best of the 5 MP cameras, but it is very good, and the camera is the most flexible of them all, the most broadly useful and adaptable. (I also like the Fuji S602 for this reason.)
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:36 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
My own opinion is that the image quality of the Minolta isn't the best of the 5 MP cameras, but it is very good, and the camera is the most flexible of them all, the most broadly useful and adaptable.
Sanpete got it right, the D7's is the most understood camera. It is no point and shoot and definetly not a beginner's camera. All digicams involve post-processing(.) One'll get a much quicker result and with less fuss with the F717, or even the 5700 for sure, when this is done internally by the camera (along with its benefit and limitations). The Minoltas tend to off-load this 'post' process to the control of their owners. It begins with a good quality lens free of CA to the multitude of adjustments that this camera is capable of controlling for its output:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...276&highlight=

The quality of the pictures depends then mostly on the savvy of the users... At the default settings everyone will get just that, a middle of the road result. This is even truer of the AdobeRGB where the color space is widest and offer the most latitude in Photoshop adjustments, but look really crummy on a PC sRGB monitor (may be that's why they even give the users the least 1/2.5 compression to allow for the post-processings!) :P :P :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote