Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:20 AM   #21

I live in Brazil and a bought the teleconverter from B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) is a huge story in NY.
igopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:39 PM   #22

About half the cost the camera!

\Clive
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:53 AM   #23

I have a Z5 ,, and I was thinking about buying a telephoto .. thank you for the photos u posted .. u helped me a lot .. but I have a question :

does this lens ( 2.2 pro ) focuses automaticly or with a mannual ring .. Or u just focus by pressing the button of the camera half the way down ?

thanx ..

semsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:53 PM   #24

Youjust focus by pressing the button of the camera half the way down.

You can use the camera normally.

igopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:35 PM   #25

As far as I can tell, you should be able to focus properly as long as you stay within the f-stop range of the camera.

For the Z5, this is F8.

At full zoom, the Z5 is at F4.

Using a 2X converter, you will go up to F8. The Raynoxhas a2.2x zoome, however it happens to be a really large lens, which lets in plenty of light, so it will function well in full daylight.

In any case, you will never be able to get 3X zoom, since the camera cannot handle F12.

This is how I understand the issue, however I am not even close to being a professional. This is just what I picked up after doing a little bit of research on the web.
zvberkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:33 AM   #26

The Olympus TCON & WCON series work perfectly with the Z2 and the Lumix FZ20. Lens quality is superb with no focussing problems at all. Whilst the FZ20 has converter settings for both tele & wide angle the Z2 only has a setting for wide angle and has to zoomed beyond 6x to prevent vignetting but that creates no problems at all. Both lenses have very large diameters and are provide suberp light and contrast. Edge definition is excellent for a lens of this price AND more! I use the TCON17 from Fotosense (excellent deal & service) in Bolton UK but I really wouldn't like to go beyond 1.7x as it really does create handling problems. 1.7x is good enough for most wildlife photography in any case. There is no filter ring on the TCON17 but a 77mm to 72 mm step down ring is a pretty tight push fit and a couple of carefully applied spots of super glue completes the exercise enabling the use of 72mm hood/filters - problem solved. The WCON07/08 series ALL work with the right step down ring no matter which Olympus camera it was desined for. Mine is the WCON 08B designed for the Camedia but with a 62mm - 52mm step down ring it works brilliantly with both the FZ20 and the Z2. A major plus is that it can be purchased cheaply on Ebay for about £35!!!.. a bargain. Just remember that it is such a large chunk of glass that when flash is required you will need an external source otherwise the bottom half of your photo will be in shadow!

If anyone wants comparison shots with either or both lenses - let me know.
Biffo1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:27 PM   #27

zvberkov wrote:
Quote:
As far as I can tell, you should be able to focus properly as long as you stay within the f-stop range of the camera.

For the Z5, this is F8.

At full zoom, the Z5 is at F4.

Using a 2X converter, you will go up to F8. The Raynoxhas a2.2x zoome, however it happens to be a really large lens, which lets in plenty of light, so it will function well in full daylight.

In any case, you will never be able to get 3X zoom, since the camera cannot handle F12.

This is how I understand the issue, however I am not even close to being a professional. This is just what I picked up after doing a little bit of research on the web.

No, using a tcon on a non dslr ie a fixed lens camera does not affect the aperature in anyway.

A good quality tcon on a fixed lens system will have no light loss (at least nothing that can be easily measured) unlike with a tcon and a dslr where a stop or two is lost.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:57 PM   #28

interesting this thread came up as iv just been looking at the raynox 2.2 so i can capture wildlife shots easyer. but wow an 82mm filter thread, just to check can i step up from 52mm to 82 mm so i only need one set of filters between zoomed and normal?

A question with the F-stops, i dont fully understand this but someone said

"As far as I can tell, you should be able to focus properly as long as you stay within the f-stop range of the camera."

would this mean i cant add a neutral density filter to decrease the amount of light entering my camera for slower shutter speeds (waterfall shots)? surely all i need to do is decrease my shutter speed by the factor of the filter? or would it just be the autofocus that has a problem here meaning i just manually focus my camera in.

Cheers Brett
brett_dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:55 PM   #29

I doubt that using stepping rings to convert 52mm to 82mm will be a practical proposition. The use of a teleconverter should not cause any problem with focus regardless of the f-stop range (see my earlier post) if it does, it is would seem that the lens is just not compatible with that camera. The light loss is minimal with both the Olympus TCON & WCON but the TCON I use is 1.7x. with a 72mm object lens. If the Raynox is 82mm (object) and 2.2x I can almost guarantee that there will also be minimal light loss with that lens. You may like to consider using Cokin P series filters and adapter rather than using stepping rings. It's a more practical solution.
Biffo1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 6:56 PM   #30

Cheers for the advice Biffo, being new to the world of photography (not just point and shoot) i dont know so much about what is available, the cokin p series looks perfect as it will adapt for use both with and without the telephoto lens, plus it will adapt for my old 35slr

Igopa, although i plan to use this on the Z2 id be interested to know how the 2020 pro compares at lowest zoom on your Z3 (as the cameras are similar) is there any vignetting or lens distortions?

Cheers Brett
brett_dale is offline   Reply With Quote