Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:37 AM   #1

I recentlygot a Z3 a thought it would be fun with extra zoom. I bought a Tokina 3x tele converter. The camera does not seem to be able tofocus properly with the lens mounted.

Isit possible to use a telelens on a Z3 at all? Do I have tomake some special settings? Or is it just a bad lens?

Regards,

Lars
larsves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:16 PM   #2

larsves wrote:
Quote:
I recently got a Z3 a thought it would be fun with extra zoom. I bought a Tokina 3x tele converter. The camera does not seem to be able to focus properly with the lens mounted.

Is it possible to use a tele lens on a Z3 at all? Do I have to make some special settings? Or is it just a bad lens?

Regards,

Lars
I doubt this is the problem. . .but if you were trying to handhold the camera (at full zoom with 3x converter) thats almost impossible. The camera was maybe bouncing around so much that it was unable to focus. Try mounting it on a tripod and seeing if it works, otherwise you might be out of luck. Also, you could "tell" the camera that it has a converter on it,by selecting it in the setup menu. I have seen the option in the A2 and Z2, so I think the Z3 has it
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:42 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I was actually using a tripod and 2 seconds delay on a bright sunny day. Theonly settingoption regarding lenses, that I have found so far, is for wide angle.

I think I am out of luck with this lens.

Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:55 AM   #4

Have you tried manual focus?
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:52 PM   #5

Even with the built-in zoom lens, I find it very hard to check if the subject is in clear focus at maximum zoom (10x). This may be a limitation of my eyesight or of the view finder.
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:17 AM   #6

I have tried manual focus. It is possible to focus some at short range (30-200 ft), but not above 300 ft.

LV
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Hi, I had the same problem with my Z2.

At the end I decided to try another lens and the new one worked OK.

With the bad one (Opteka), it was able to show a clear image while the zoom was moving but impossible to focus anything with the zoom stopped. (at long distances. At short distances focussed everything ok)

So, try to test a new lens before buy !!!

Good luck!!! (next time)
jo_que_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:35 AM   #8

What sort of lens worked for you? What is the name?

LV
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:50 AM   #9

I am bumping this thread up because I have a Z5 and would like to gain a little more zoom in order tocapture some eagles. I can do fairly well when zooming all the way in with digital + optical, but I don't want the grainyness(?) with the digital zoom.

I was looking at a Tokina 3x until I found this thread. What else would be a good recommendation?

Attached is a picture of what I am talking about. The image has been sized down considerably for the internet, but you can see what I am talking about.
Attached Images

z28bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:53 PM   #10

hi z28bill! I had same problem with focusing using zoom lens from Hoya, I tried a lot of tricks but wasn't able to focus with them, so maybe not try this brand as well.(BTW I like other filtes made by Hoya, polarizer work just great so guess it's not the case of the lens quality but rather of their type).
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote