Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

Hi! I just bought a new A200. I think it's a very good camera even if I found color a little soft. Soon I'll append some pictures, but at present I've 3 very important questions :

1) I set up Photo in maximum size and Extra-fine quality but I obtain 4 Mb photo and not 6 as manual says. Why?

2) When I change from manual to auto mode quality returns automatically to fine and the digital zoom turns on by itself. Is it normal?

3) I have some good filters in 58mm format from a previous digital camera. Is there any step up ring for that size?

Thank you for the help. See you as soon as possible with some photos.
andreac75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:17 PM   #2
stk

Hi Andreac75

Welcome to the club. I like mine more and more as I use it (but it can be a bit frustrating in the beginning!)

1. The file size will vary a lot on the subject. in fact, it can be very subtle. I shot the same image at all ISO settings on a tripod and varied from 2.8M to 4.2M. This is due to how the compression algorithm processes the image.
I have never seen as high as 6M but I suspect this is what KM think is the highest possible dependent on scene. Biggest I have seen is about 4.5M but I often get less than 3M - Image quality is fine regardless.

2.Yes, switching Auto from the other modes sets quality to Fine, Digital Zoom ON and WideArea focus. I guess the argument is that Auto should be preset to a simple mode and not really adjustable. The manual and User modes are for this
(BTW once only switching from portrait back to P left colour in portrait - this was a bit odd but doesn't seem to have happened again but I always quickly check icons)

Note that even if disabled in photo mode, its also still enabled in movie mode. This is very useful as you get a x28 zoom in movies which doesn't degrade image quality.

3. Filters, can't help I'm afraid I only have a 49mm UV.
There may be, but you need to watch thickness. It seems 4mm is about the limit (at 49mm diameter) before you start to see vignetting.

On the colour if you have it in natural you may prefer vivid as a simple fix to saturate more. There are much more subtle individual changes you can make though using the Func button.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:35 PM   #3

Thank you for the fast reply!
For the second question I was thinking that my camera was broken or something similar. Now I know that's all right.

Thank you again, bye, Andrea.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:42 PM   #4

Andreac75

Try the following for filters and converter rings. I've been pleased with their service and goods.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/digcam.html

The advice on filter thickness should be heeded. I've had occasional vignetting using standard Tiffen and Sunpak UV filters. It doesn't happen all the time at wide angle. Don't know when it does and when it doesn't.

They do sell extra thin filters but they are quite pricey.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 4:50 PM   #5

Thank you. At present I'm looking if it is possible to use my 58mm with my new A200 without buying new. So I'm looking for a step up from 49mm (Is it 49mm not 52mm. Is it right?) to 58mm.

I've also find a 0.5x and a 2x from digital optics in ebay but I don't know if they are a good choice...
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:39 AM   #6

Yes, the original size is 49mm.

I bought one of the inexpensive telephoto lens on e-bay. The ad said that there would be no vignetting and that the image would be sharp edge to edge.

There is vignetting except at the higher end of the telephoto range.

The image is not sharp edge to edge. There is some question as to how sharp it actually is even in the center of the lens.

You must set the camera to accept the add on telephoto lens. Go to Menu, then at the Menu screen scroll over to the image of the wrench on the far upper right. Select the wrench and you will see another sset of menu choices. The first screen has:

LCD brightness followed by Lens Acc. Select Lens Acc and then telephoto.

To be fair to the cheap lens I want to take some shots in bright sunlight. I will post these when I do so.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:33 AM   #7

It appears that there is some question regarding the effect of the Telephoto setting on the menu. It may be unnecessary. I have yet to experiment with this but if we can use the telephoto converter (I use a TCON17 x1.7) without changing the menu and with good focus then this would be a time saver.

Maurice
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote