Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 8, 2005, 7:56 AM   #1

Hi All,

Does anyone have a set of settings (if that makes sense) on the KM Z3 that enables fast reaction and better focussing in poor lighting? Any advise gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Simon
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:04 PM   #2

you may have noticed that the camera focuses better at the wide angle than if you are zoomed in. other than that, i can't think of any setting that would make it focus better.
DigiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:46 PM   #3

Unless you're shooting portrait, try using ambient lighting instead of the built-in flash. I usually just leave my Z3 on P mode with ISO at Auto, and then play around with the settings after I see my initial shots. I imagine that taking action shots would be very difficult with any camera.
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 5:28 AM   #4

Thanks,

The settings I'm trying at the moment are

Program Mode

Auto ASA (does anyone know if this is auto from 50-400 asa, or a smaller range as some digicam auto's are only 80-200 even if full range asa is available?)

2272x1702 fine (thank you 1gb sd card)

Single AF

Full-time AF on (just trying this to cut down on focus time)

I'll also be sticking to the wide range of the zoom to take use of the f2.8 which will hopefully help.

If you can think of any other tweaks that are worth trying I'll give anything a go.

Cheers

Simon
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:33 AM   #5

With regards to ISO in auto mode, the I believe it ranges from ISO 50 to ISO 400.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:49 AM   #6

Thanks Nols,

I've actually now read the manual... zzzzzzzzz... and like other camera manufacturers the Auto ISO is from 50-200 and you have to manually set the 400 option. I assume this is to stop too many occurances of noisy pictures.

Actually Nols can you help please. In another thread you mentioned your Z3 lockng up intermittantly. I have the same problem and my firmware is the latest 1.02. Can you reproduce the lockups or is it just when you least need them, like mine? It seems the camera detects your stress level and then pushes it an extra notch :x. So far reasons seem to be usng menu and selector buttons too fast and switching between EVF-LCD-Playback modes when starting the camera up.

Thanks again for your help Nols.

Regards

Simon
Old Apr 10, 2005, 3:07 AM   #7

Also posted this at Calliope's thread:

Okay, I'll try. Personally, I think that there's very little we can do until Minolta comes up with better firmware. You have to expect these problems as gadgets become more sophisticated and computerized. I have a brand new Pentium IV desktop computer which hangs from time to time. I also have an old computer and a personnal digital assistant which hangs from time to time. I guess my new Z3 has just joined the club.
It's funny because I've had this One-megapixel point&shoot digital camera (by Intel) for several years and it has never locked-up on me. Go figure.

Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:11 PM   #8

Well, to try and sort the problem I've gone and ordered a CameraBright. Nearly $50 with postage to the UK, but it'll be less than I lose on trying to get rid of the Z3 second hand. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers

Simon
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:53 PM   #9

Simon i'd really liek to hear how you get on with the camerabright

as i would like one myself for my Z3 .
RC18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:11 AM   #10

It won't be arriving for 7 - 10 days but I'll give it a good testing andlet you knowif or how much it helps the Z3.

Simon