Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:42 PM   #1

I don't think I posted this message with the right subject. I'm getting error s0042 while camera is off and cover is slid over lens. All of a sudden camera turns on by itself...

OK, I'm pretty depressed as I am finding several people are experiencing the same problem I'm experiencing. Problem is, I can't justify spending 150.00+ (what the local camera store quoted for sending it back to company for repair) and I obviously am out of warranty. Is there ANYTHING AT ALL I can do before chucking this and starting all over?

The darn thing turns on by itself sometimes (even when lens is closed) and the dreaded s0042 error comes up. Sometimes another s error message comes up but I couldn't see it through my tears. Sorry, next time I'll have someone document it for me. The only way to fix this is to take the battery out for a minute, then pray before I plug it back in and turn it on, then off - to make sure it doesn't pop on by itself again.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am very open. BTW, neither my husband or I have any sort of electrical engineer background so that knocks out self repair, I'm pretty sure.

Thank you for any info you can send my way.

J-

JanettaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

I am not familiar with this model camera, so any advice I can give is pretty generic.

It sounds as if the cover switch could be the problem. Sometimes, switch contacts get dirty and corroded over time. If this is the case with yours, perhaps sliding the cover back and forth repeatedly (with batteries out) will cause the contacts to celf-clean. If the switch is loose in the camera, it will require professional repair.

Another possibility is the batteries. What kind are you using, and how old are they? NiMH rechargeables lose capacity after 150 or so charge cycles, and may cause odd problems with cameras.

Good luck. If this doesn't help, maybe someone else has better info.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:18 AM   #3
Administrator

I see this error from time to time with models sharing this lens design (Konica KD-310z, KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-500z, KD-510z; Minolta G500; Konica-Minolta G600).

s0042 is usually a fatal error indicating the lens mechanism is not working properly (requiring service by Konica-Minolta).

You could try wiggling the lens while extending and retracting it, but I doubt you'll get it working again. Something in it is probably jammed.

FWIW, I've owned a little Konica KD-510z since July 2003, I've had zero problems with mine (despite being carried in a pants pocket with me almost everywhere, knocked around constantly, and even dropped a time or two).

It's been a very rugged little camera. But, this problem does come up from time to time with these models.

Good Luck.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:06 PM   #4

Brian, I want to thank you for the reply. I did play around with the lens cover, sliding it back and forth several times - it looked pretty dirty. once I put the battery back in and put only 1 memory stick in - so far I'm not having any problems. I'm holding my breath though, as I know from my other reply that this is indicative of a lens malfunction. Thank you for taking the time to respond and to send me some ideas. I appreciate your help.

Janetta Smith
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:20 PM   #5
Administrator

Perhaps you got lucky and the lens was only tilted to one side or something causing the error. s0042 is indicative of the lens mechanism being jammed (so if it's working now, you got it "unjammed"). Congrats!

Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:30 PM   #6

Hi JimC,

I was getting ready to post a Thank you reply to you as well. Thanks so much for your help. I was hoping I could also get a Konica/Minolta tech support - send in for repair - phone number. I'm wondering if that might be better to deal directly with them instead of my local camera shop which might tack on a surcharge. I'm not completely sure that my problem is fixed, although for the last 2 days, I've been turning on my camera, taking a couple of pics, thensliding the lens back to close to see ifmy error would appear. So far, knock on wood, it is gone.

Would you happen to know who I could call if I run into this problem again?

I went on the Minolta website and could not find my model referencing any technical support so was kind of lost in the confusion.

Thanks so much for all the helpful information on this site. I really love this forum.

Janetta Smith
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:44 PM   #7
Administrator

Janetta:

What camera model do you own and where are you located?

Is it brand new? Perhaps (and I'm speculating), it just needed breaking in a bit and thegears in the mechanism were binding some at first.

Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:52 PM   #8

Hi Jim,

I have the Konica Diital Revio KD-500Z. I bought it in July-ish 2003, so am obviously out of warranty. I live in OKC, OK - USA.

As far as the breaking in a bit. I read your replies to other users about how you tote yours around everywhere in your pocket, etc. I barely use mine. I probably haven't filled 3-256 memory sticks with photos. ( I have Pentax istD that I do all my fun photography with) - I am so careful and protective over this one and it is giving me the error messages. I guess you can figure out that this is why I didn't want to spend any more money on this getting it fixed....I don't have much faith in it right now...

Do you think taking the SD card out has anything to do with that error message? I know it is supposed to be a lens error message but I swear, since 2 days ago - the only difference I've done is remove battery, slide cover back and forth a couple of times, blow on it (I guess for good luck) - and only put back the sony memory stick and not the SD one. I swear, not one error right now. Really wierd since all weekend, I could duplicate error and lens malfunction - even at the camera store - which is always unlikely because camera's know how to behave in front of the professionals!

Thanks again for your time.

Janetta Smith
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:28 PM   #9
Administrator

I hate to tell you this.. But, it would probably cost more than the camera is worth to have it repaired. Refurbished Minolta G500 models (a.k.a., Konica KD-510z) are selling for around $200.00 now, and this is a newer model than your KD-500z.I'm seeing the even newer G600 in brand new condition for less than $250.00 fromsome reputable vendors now.

As a general rule, an out of warranty repairon a digital camera is going to cost close to $200.00 from most manufacturers.

It is my understanding that Konica-Minolta U.S. is outsourcing repair of the Konica branded models since the merger with Minolta (at least they were at one time).

You can reach Konica-Minolta at 201-574-4000 and they could probably steer you in the right direction if you ever decide to have it looked at by them. They may be able to give you an estimate for the work.

Personally, if it's working now, I wouldn't worry over it (and I doubt it was caused by anything other than the lens mechanism binding -- based on reports I've seen of this error). It's even possible that a spec of debrisof some kind got caught in the gears and finally came out (or it was just binding becauseit was unused for a longperiod of time).

Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:14 PM   #10

Jim,

Thanks for the great info. I'm glad to know this. Now I don't feel so bad for wanting to trash the thing.

Here's to holding my breath everytime I shutter.... (no pun intended...)

Janetta