Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1

Hello ,

although I'm a newbie , my question is A200 related so I will post it in this thread .

After a lot of research I decided to buy the A200 …

It is ordered and on it's way now :-)

I would like to ask about the memory cards that should go with this camera.

I read that the A200 camera accepts CF-I and CF-II (CF = Compact Flash)

I read about Compact Flash , and about Compact Flash X## (## stands for a two digit number) , and about CompactFlash Ultra ll , and about CompactFlash Extreme III.

1. If someone could put things into order for me I will be very thankful.

does the CompactFlash x## is the CF-I type?

does the CompactFlash Ultra ll is the CF-II type?

does the CompactFlash Extreme III is a CF-III type ? (and not compatible with the A200 ?)

is there a CF-III cards or is it just brand names for the same type of card?

2. About camera computability….

I see that the Ultra-II has a read10mbps and write9mbps speeds.

I see that the Extreme has a read/write20mbps speeds.

Can the camera handle the extreme cards?

how fast is X01, or X20 or x80 ?

3. What card should I buy so I can get the most of the camera potential ?

I see the USB interface has a speed of 12mbps is that the speed of the card as well?

Any answers , or referrals for the right reading material on the subject , will be much appreciated .

Thanks , thank you , very much.

Erez.

grayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:36 AM   #2

Ultra ll and Extreme III are types used only by SanDisk to indicate speed and temperature range.

I am pretty sure ALL flash-memory cards are Type I, Microdrives are the thicker Type II

Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:43 AM   #3

Just to elaborate on what MikeAusA200 told you.

grayart wrote:
Quote:

does the CompactFlash x## is the CF-I type?
CF-I is Compact Flash type 1, the following digits indicate the speed of the card. The speed is measured the same way as a CD Rom drive, meaning that 1x equals 150kb/sec. So a 1xcard would read at 150kb/sec, a 40x card would read at 6Mb/sec and an 80x would read at 12Mb/sec. Notice that I say read. That's because the speed rating on the card is telling you how fast it can read data, the actual writing times will be slightly slower.

Quote:
does the CompactFlash Ultra ll is the CF-II type?

does the CompactFlash Extreme III is a CF-III type ? (and not compatible with the A200 ?)
No, the Ultra II and Extreme III are the names of cards made by Sandisk. They are both Compact Flash Type 1. Both types are compatible with the A200.

CF-II is the same width and height but slightly thicker than CF-I, which as MikeAusA200 said are Micro drives.

CF type I are solid state devices with no moving parts and CF-II are basically miniature hard drives.

Quote:
I see that the Ultra-II has a read10mbps and write9mbps speeds.

I see that the Extreme has a read/write20mbps speeds.

Can the camera handle the extreme cards?

how fast is X01, or X20 or x80 ?
Yes the Ultra II reads at 10Mb/sec andwrites at 9Mb/sec. The Extreme III reads at 20Mb/sec and writes at 18 Mb/sec. Currently, none of todays cameras can actually write to a card at 18 Mb/sec which is 120x and your A200 would not benefit at all from using one. It appears that the optimum speed card for the A200 would be somewhere between 24x and 40x. I have an A2 and don't really notice any difference between a 40x and an 80x CF1 card, both Lexar. If the price difference is not great though, I would opt for the Lexar 80x, or Sandisk Ultr II,as these will give you much faster transfer speeds to your computer when using a USB2 card reader. (assuming you have a USB2 enabled motherboard).

I suggest you have a look at this site, http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KMA200/A2A8.HTM

It gives you the Shutter lag and Cycle times of the A200 using a Lexar 80x, also a full review of your camera.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:29 PM   #4

thank you & thank you Stevekin.

that was most helpful .

i willordered the Extreme , i don't know if i have USB2 or USB1 , but i also ordered a card reader that gives me USB2 , and if my computer don't have this USB2 , then at least i am covered for the future .

i ordered the 1G card , and i don't intend to purchase and others in the fututre , if i will need more space for storing my pictures i belive that a portable device like iRiver's MP3 players will be a beter solution , when it comes to the price per GB. (and i read that they can download pictures from the camera without the need of a computer)

thanks

and happy Holiday
grayart is offline   Reply With Quote