Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:09 PM   #1

I've read the Manual several times, but I didn't realise you could change the combination of shutter and aperture AFTER you half-press then release the shutter button. I thought you had to use S or Amode to select a specific shutter or aperture.

In P mode it displays "Ps" and turning the control dial lets you select a different combination of shutter and aperture, while still maintaining a constant exposure level. If you go too far and go into under or overexposure the Aperture number goes red.

So if you are after maximum depth of field you can select a smaller aperture.

This also works in A and S modes where you will see what shutter speed results for each aperture setting.

What a brilliant piece of user-friendliness.:G

I guess I didn't try it because my previous digitals couldn't do it !:shock:

Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:18 AM   #2

That's really handy, Mike. No matter how many times I read that manual there's always something I find that I hadn't appreciated. Now all I've got to do is make sure it stays in my head when I'm out and about.

It's this business of the learning curve, I guess.I have experienced the same sortof thing with other programs, especially CorelDraw (a vector graphics prog) I've been using itsince 1991 yet still keep unearthing new stuff. I've been teaching this program to a young lady of eleven years and she grasps things so quickly. Sometimes I wonder just how she managed to do a particular thing and she shows me! .......ME! Maybe I need a brain transplant.

What the A200 manual really needs is a proper alphabetical index. I'm in the process of making one but it's a slow job!

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:18 AM   #3

Unfortunately the manual was written by someone very experienced in the camera's functions - which means that it is very hard for a first-time user to learn from it.

Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:23 PM   #4

Good pick!!

I had posted the same technique in another thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

Technique is very usefull to obtain sharper images.See the thread above

thanks

eqqmc2
eqqmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:39 AM   #5

MikeAusA200 wrote:
Quote:
What a brilliant piece of user-friendliness.:G

Just to give Minolta some kudos, this little piece of user-friendliness has been around since at least 1984, when the fully automatic Maxxum 7000 was introduced. Not digital, but part of the P, A, & S modes.

FYI, you can temporarily override the camera's suggested settings even without holding the button 1/2 way. Tap the button 1/2 way just to bring up the 'P' and the shutter/aperture values. Once you override the aperture or shutter, and the little subscript letter appears, the camera will keep that setting for about 5 seconds while you shoot or push the button halfway to focus.

GDwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6

Phranque wrote:
Quote:
That's really handy, Mike.¬* No matter how many times I read that manual there's always something I find that I hadn't appreciated. Now all I've got to do is make sure it stays in my head when I'm out and about.

It's this business of the learning curve, I guess.¬*I have experienced the same sort¬*of thing with other programs, especially CorelDraw (a vector graphics prog) I've been using it¬*since 1991 yet still keep unearthing new stuff. I've been teaching this program to a young lady of eleven years and she grasps things so quickly. Sometimes I wonder just how she managed to do a particular thing and she shows me! .......¬*ME!¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* ¬*Maybe I need a brain transplant.

What the A200 manual really needs is a proper alphabetical index. I'm in the process of making one but it's a slow job!¬*

Frank
Frank - Hi long time...
A request - if you complete that manual would you be kind enough to e-mail me a copy??
Glad you're getting on well with the A-200 - I'm really pleased with mine and I have taken a fair few pics with it now - most of my examples are at DCresource - I stuck one here today though. Oh my e-mail [email protected]
thanks
Geoff
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:47 PM   #7

The A2 with the 1.12u upgrade does it too.

Tommy
tmorris51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 11:38 AM   #8

You can download the A200 manual in Adobe PDF format here:

http://konicaminoltaeurope.com/magic_frameEoI.shtml?nav.html?support/manuals/manuals_en.html

You can use Adobe Reader to view the manual file and search using keywords. This is better than an index.

I have copied the PDF file to my IPAQ PDA for portability. Another possibility would be to copy the PDF file to the camera CF card but this would require a CF reader and occasional access to a PC with Adobe Reader installed.

The best learning aid is practice. I've just returned from a 2-week trip overseas and this has helped me to master much of the camera functionality. I still find it difficult to catch close ups of birds in flight but I have at least one success.

Maurice
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote