Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:49 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a Promaster Flash unit like the 7500DX Digital Flash that has the strobe feature? Can you tell me about it?

Does anyone have a KM flash unit like the Minolta 5600HS Flash that has the strobe feature? Can you tell me about it?

Does anyone have a flash unit made by another maker with strobe? Can you tell me about it?

In case you can't figure this out I want a flash unit that has the strobe feature.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary Dannenbaum
http://topangarealtor.smugmug.com
TopangaRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2

I would say I'm a newbie to this forum, I have just ordered my A200, and have been planning to get a good flash for it bit later this year, so I have been reading about various flash units too.

As I have understood one good alternative for Minolta brand flashes for Ax cameras would be the Sigma EF 500 DG flashes - and the Super model seems to have the strobe feature too. ( Sigma EF 500 DG Super specs )

Some posts I have read about that particular flash on this forum too, says that the amount of light it can produce is comparable to Minolta 5600HS, and featurewise it should be much more like 5600HS than 3600HS ... but price is closer to 3600HS range. (just quick look at one store in Europe, 5600HS goes for 359 euros, 3600HS for 199 euros, and Sigma for 229 euros)

So at the moment I have been thinking to go for the Sigma flash, but would be nice to hear opinions from someone who would have had chance to work with both Minolta 5600 and the Sigma flash.
Dropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:08 PM   #3

Just out of curiousity, were you able to try this combimation or make a decision on the flash unit? I have the same dilema...

Thanks,

Jake
jroztocil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:04 AM   #4

Sigma has dedicated button for strobe, while at 5600 you must access it from menu.

A-lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:05 PM   #5

So you went with the Sigma for your A200? You've been pleased with the results? No concerns of comments?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 1:54 PM   #6

I also want to buy EF-500 DG. But I've found EF-500 DG and DG Super. What's difference?

Brian :?
saltocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:32 PM   #7

I ended up with the 5600HS and so far it is really great. I took it out of the box and was able to get some amazing indoor and high-speed outdoor shots without crackingthe manual. It just works.

I got a decent price from Broadway Photo but, as per other posts, don't bother with the accessories from there. My next trick will be to pick up a 3600HS (or two) and go wireless - a very cool and undersold feature.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:39 PM   #8

No, I'm still using original KM 2500D. I'm not going to purchase any more on-camera placed flash. I use my camera mostly for indoor, "studio" shots, so I'm planning to get off-camera shoe adapter, and some flashes with softboxes.

A-lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:17 PM   #9

The 5600HS has a pretty amazing wireless feature (http://www.samys.com/articles/gary_friedman/flash.html). It seems that with the A200 you have to have the 5600HS on camera to act as a controller (as opposed to the A2 which as the functionality built-in). Once you have this, you should be able to have several of the Maxxum series flashes and control ratios between all of them. I don't believe that HSS is supported in wireless mode but if that is a problem you can still cable up. I'll post how I've made out - 3600HS next purchase...
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:37 PM   #10

This response, shown below, is copied from an earlier submission to this forum. It has good useful information and worth a read.

I have since purchased a Sigma EF-500 DGSuper. Luckily the serial number begins with a 6.

Maurice

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sigma EF-500 DG Super (MA) flashgun is about the same price as the Minolta 3600HS(D), but about as powerful as the 5600 and has most of the same features. The Sigma flashgun works well with the Ax. However, those with serial number starting with '5' or less are slightly less compatible with the Ax than are the Minolta flashguns. Sigma EF-500 DG Super (MA) flashguns with serial numbers starting with '6' or more appear to be equally as compatible with the Ax as are the Minolta units.

e Sigma EF-500 DG Super (MA) flashgun is about the same price as the Minolta 3600HS(D), but about as powerful as the 5600 and has most of the same features. The Sigma flashgun works well with the Ax. However, those with serial number starting with '5' or less are slightly less compatible with the Ax than are the Minolta flashguns. Sigma EF-500 DG Super (MA) flashguns with serial numbers starting with '6' or more appear to be equally as compatible with the Ax as are the Minolta units.

bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote