Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:29 AM   #1

Default 7hi vers. the 7i

I am considering a new digicam and have pretty much settled on one of the Diamage 7's my question is, is the HI really worth $400.00 more than the 7I? I do alot of animal photos and it is very important that the camera be "ready" when the "right moment " comes. I need fast focas and multiple shots and a flash that flashes "now" rather than when it's ready.

I also looked at the fuji s602 and the Nikon 5700. The 5700's focas was real slow and did alot of "seeking" and the s602 didn't seem up to standard either.

Any constructive coments welcome.
Richard L. Zade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 6:24 AM   #2
NHL

In term of speed, you should not see any difference between the 7i and 7Hi in normal shooting (jpeg). The extra buffer of the 7Hi only helps when you shoot in the raw data mode or tiff, which sounds to me like you don't need it...

The other difference is the PC sync terminal for studio slaves, or external flashes, and the various colourspaces that the 7Hi can map its output to which also sounds like you don't need... and there's the black professional color than some people would pay $400 for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you want fast recycle time, perhaps an external unit might be better for you.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 8:03 AM   #3

There are other differences between the two to consider...

- The larger internal buffer in the 7Hi (64MB) will allow more images to be captured for continuous advance before the camera has to stop completely to write data to the compact flash. If this is important then look at the spec sheets for both cameras in Steve's reviews.
- There is higher quality setting on the 7Hi for the JPEG compression (extra fine) which might be applicable if you are trying to capture higher quality images while using continuous advance mode. This may not be noticeable to some, some times depends on the composition.

The black finish is cool! I love this camera.
rsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 6:45 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Strangely enough the Black factor is important :lol: It just makes the camera look more like a pro unit! The silver just looks chincy, you don't suppose Minolta planned it that way

I serously looked at the Olympus E20n but it deosn't seem to have as many features as the Minolta and I've read alot about excessive noise and picture quality that doesn't impress me.

The most important thing to me is responsive handleing. My old Olympus d600l takes good pictures but it is s-l-o-w!! It has a habit of making me miss great shots because it just plain refuses to take the picture when I press the button especilly if it wants to use the flash and you want natural lighting.
Richard L. Zade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:51 AM   #5

Default Black vs. sliver debate?

Oh, come on folks. Other than marketing, can't figure out why years back stereo components went from metal to funeral colors now most everything is black. (Some are reverting to metal colors tho.) Thankfuly the D7i is my kind of color, wonder how many others agree? 8)
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:04 PM   #6

It Must be a Midwest thing cald, I like the silver. My DVD is gold, my TV silver, heck even my printer is silver!!!
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 7:48 PM   #7

Black, or silver, is a color, not a feature. It's what's underneath that counts.
When you have the camera available in different colors, as you used to in old SLRs, then the buyer can choose the color he likes best.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:17 PM   #8
CS

Some times stealth is an important factor 8) . Black is more discrete, so you can photograph people at night/day almost without notice.
Since the 7Hi is not a pocket camera, the black colour gives, to this little piece of art, an important reduction on size.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:51 AM   #9

I'll keep my 7i.....for $400 i can buy a lot of black spray paint.
bifunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:51 AM   #10

I'll keep my 7i.....for $400 i can buy a lot of black spray paint.
bifunster is offline   Reply With Quote