Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:20 AM   #11

Talked to B&H, and they pushed the Minolta HS3600D/5600D pretty hard. Couldn't understand why I would want to put a third-party (Sigma) flash on the 7i. They implied that there was some functionality missing, but I didn't ask for details.

This is, again, another place where buying online frustrates me. I'm really, really close to selling all of my old gear so I can afford to buy the 5600 at local retail so I can talk to someone in person, and I know how to take it back easily and simply if I don't like it or need to get it fixed.

- Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:29 AM   #12
NHL

The only thing missing between the Sigma and the HS3600D is the modeling light which let you 'determine' the shadow effect. Otherwise from the specs the Sigma looks very familiar... The Sigma is also a good deal if you want to use several cheaper units to complement the multi-unit wireless features of the camera (it'll be too much to buy multiple HS5600D)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 2:29 PM   #13

I checked at B&H this morning and they said their Sigma flash 500 DG Super will work with Minolta Dimage 7i.
Did any one order this flash from B&H and did it work with the 7i?
About Stofein bounce flash, how does it work? Any experience with it?
Zoomy Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:49 PM   #14

Default I got mine from them, works great

Powerful flash works really well but here is my complete take on it.

You must set your camera in TTL flash mode and not ADI to get best exposure, I consistently got underexposures using ADI but was dead on with TTL.

I took the same picture from the same distance in A mode going from f3.5 to f9.5 and it was just dead on!!!

All of the features the Flash supports are not available unless you go into manual mode, and even then the modeling light still wouldn't work (but works off camera). Multiple flash feature is way cool.

Bounce works very good!!! Has given my photography a whole new dimension!!!

Wireless has added more flexibility than I could have ever hoped for. The unit also works in dedicated slave mode, so you can fire it by using the manual 1/16 power setting on your camera and take pictures with no pre-flash (great for pet shots!!!)

I really feel like a "pro" now and my pictures are improving a bunch too. Shots I would have missed before because of lack of flash range are easily obtainable with my camera locked in ISO 100 mode!!!

Need I say more - GO GET THIS FLASH

The features that do not work will in no way inhibit your photography. They are also not bugs in the flash unit, it is documented that some features do not work or work differently depending on the camera body you have.

GO GET THIS FLASH

I also bought the Sto Fen Omin Bounce that they offer as anb accessory. Its a tight fit but it WILL WORK on this flash. I called a sales rep at B&H and they said they did not carry one for this flash, but just order the one they offer as an "accessory" on the net and it works fine. Just remember if you really need alot of range you may want to take it off (for shooting > 65ft or so).

Ed
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:38 PM   #15

Thanks for the reply.
You mentioned "bounce" worked very well. What kind of bounce are you using? Do you mean Sto-fen bounce or the attachment at the flash for indirect flash light?
Zoomy Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:46 AM   #16

Both work good, but indirect lighting by using the ceiling or wall is the bounce lighting that lets my shots look oh so professional. I hope to get a softbox kit one day, but until then I'll do bounce (ceiling or wall) every chance I get!

As far as that type of bounce goes, all you have to do is rotate the flash "on shoe" to point at the ceiling, wall or both. Not necessary to remove the flash from camera, although I've used it in this fashion also.

The Sto-fen "Omni- bounce" works ok, takes the edge off of direct flash lighting, but pictures still seem kinda flat.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:30 AM   #17
NHL

Try this as well: http://www.lumiquest.com/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote