Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Sigma Flash for 7i

Hi, thanks for all the help, now where can I get a good price on one of these Sigma flashes, I haven't had much luck searching for these on the web.
Thanks,
Todd
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:41 AM   #2

I called ritzcamera.com yesterday; they said they won't have them in stock until 3rd week of January. I can't find them at retail anywhere.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:45 AM   #3

Sorry, forgot to post the pricing. Their site shows US$149 for the standard, $229 for the Super, I think.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:55 PM   #4

Did any one had a chance to try the Sigma flash 500 DG on Dimage 7i?
I went to Ritz camera this morning to try this flash but they don't have it. Then they let me try the Quantaray model for Minolta but this flash is not working with 7i. I would suggest if some one can try the 500DG and posted the result .
Zoomy Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 6:37 AM   #5
NHL

FYI

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=quantaray
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:32 AM   #6

Ordered my 500 DG Standard yesterday from ritzcamera.com for $149. Their shipment is due in today and will hopefully ship shortly thereafter. The "Super" model for $249 is already shipping.

My local Ritz said they don't carry Sigma in-store, and that the Ritz camera stores are managed by a completely separate company than ritzcamera.com, so don't ever expect to see Sigma's at a retail Ritz.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:51 PM   #7

Hi Paul,
Did you have a chance to try the Sigma flash yet?
Thanks
Zoomy Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 2:54 PM   #8

zoomy -

Thanks for asking. Here's the story ...

Sometimes I really hate not being able to walk into a store and see the item I want to buy and read the book. Checked my order status on the standard flash at ritzcamera.com and it was now showing 15 FEB 03 as the ship date, which is hardly this week.

So before cancelling the order at ritzcamera.com I went back to the Sigma site and couldn't find anyone in my state that even sells Sigma flashes at retail. In looking at the write-ups on Sigma's site, it appears that the "Super" model is the only one that carries a "Minolta AF (D)" qualification, rather than just a "Minolta AF". I assume the (D) is for digital, and since that one is in stock (but $80 more) I changed my order over to the Super, and it will ship on Monday (or so they say).

What really ticked me off was that I couldn't modify or cancel my online order, online! I realize that online retailers don't want to make it easy to cancel an order, but to not provide ANY order modification or cancellation instructions on the site is ridiculous!

OK, I'm done now. I'll post an update next week after the "Super" (hopefully) arrives ...

- Paul
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:25 AM   #9

The Saga Continues ...

The Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash arrived yesterday from ritzcamera.com ... with the letters "SA" all over it. Looking at the unit, the contact configuration and the flash foot don't match the 7i!!! Turns out (after a call to Sigma tech support) that the model available from ritzcamera.com only works on the Sigma line of digital cameras, thus the "SA" designator. There is a specific model with an inverted shoe specifically for Minolta digitals. ritzcamera.com has never ordered any of those from Sigma.

So back it goes ...

Tech support suggested B&H Photo as a reputable place that probably has the Minolta-specific model. Anyone ever dealt with them?

Also, the standard model (as opposed to the "Super") has not been released yet for Minolta, so the Super is the only option right now.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:41 AM   #10

Default Sigma availability

B&H also has only the SA compatible model listed. Adorama at least has the Minolta model listed, but it's marked "not in stock".
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=SG500MAXDG

I haven't found it anywhere else so I'm waiting for Adorama. I think they are considered fairly reliable.

Good luck

Elie
elied is offline   Reply With Quote