Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:05 PM   #1

Greetings,

I recently started a new job as a web manager. One responsibility I have is to photograph new products when we get them (maybe once a month). When I started, the photostudio was already set up, and I haven't had any problems until today. First I will describe the setup then the problem. Any help you folks could give would be greatly appreciated!

Setup:

2 Travelite 750 external flashs - one hard-synced master, one slaved

Minolta Dimage 7Hi

The camera was setup professionally for this rig, and I have simply been turning it on, recalling memory 1, and getting great results. I was able to see the image clearly on the LCD, and also getting clean images.

Problem:

Today, without any apperant cause (external flash settings are unchanged), the images are washing... that is to say, being captured almost entirely white. The camera is stored in a secure room and to my knowledge there's no way the settings have been changed. I read through the manual and messed with ISO, Shutter and F Stop settings but haven't been able to get a good image as well as see a clear preview image in the view finder. If I increase the shutter speed, I get a good image, but can't see to focus, and if I decrease the shutter speed I can see to focus but get a washed image...what did I do? What should I do!

Thanks in advance!
stringtheorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:45 PM   #2

stringtheorist wrote:
Quote:
If I increase the shutter speed, I get a good image, but can't see to focus, and if I decrease the shutter speed I can see to focus but get a washed image...what did I do? What should I do!
The probable reason is the camera viewer/LCD is switched into WYSIWYG mode, whichshows you the actual exposion resultwhithout flash.
In this case If you see a good preview whithout the flash, then the pic is over exposed and you got all white with the flash burst.

Try to set a "conventionnal" speed , let say 1/125 or 1/250 for example, and a very small aperture (high F number) , in manual mode, then adjust the aperture to get the correct exposition.

Also Diseable the WYSIWIG mode, ie: set the viewer/LCD to theautomatic mode, which do not reflect the real exposition, but always give you a clear preview.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:31 PM   #3

Awesome.Thanks for the quick response! As you can tell I'm sure, I'm by no means a photography expert (or even amateur for that matter); I can editphotos with the best, but taking them is a new experience. I'm going to try your suggestions now.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:45 PM   #4

Hey... went back there and did what you said. It worked perfectly! Thank ya!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:47 PM   #5

You are welcome, FYI,that's a wonderfull featuresince the 7i:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote