Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 20, 2002, 2:34 PM   #1

Default The Acid test.....

Well, it is true I got to take some shots in a New Mexico vacation last May.

But now, with a lot more familiarity with the camera, and a lot more serious traveling on the horizon, the acid test was 3 weeks in Italy. using the 7i bios upgrade to the 7, and traveling with two IBM 1 gig microdrives and four sets of rechargeable batteries.

Some observations:

1. The camera performed great. The more I learned about it, the happier I was with it. Hidden features or things I had never much though of kept popping up to make me happy. For instance, as I as sitting there one day in Monreale, Sicily, making notes as I usually do as to the shot numbers that I took in Monreale so I could identify them when I got home I had a EUREKA! moment---i.e., simply use the camera to create subdirectories on the card for every city and if need be every attraction. Boy did that work great---and it made organizing the photos SO easy when I got home.

2. Digital sure does encourage picture taking. Yikes. I love to bracket, who doesn't? But with film, I had to control those impulses. I'm an enthusiastic amateur not a pro. It's one thing to come up with 10 rolls of film in 3 weeks, but not 40. With digital, and with microdrives, I snapped with abandon, not caring at all.

3. Things I thought were serious flaws really weren't. When I saw some tricky light conditions----like sun streaming between trees in a forest--it seemed the light was all blotchy on the EVF and not showing much detail. THe actual photo viewed in the computer as opposed to monitor showed only the typical photographic issues, not any special digital problems.

4. Shooting in the best JPG setting seemed generally to work fine. I did experiment with occasional TIFFs for the images I thought would turn out best, but I think there is not much reason for my purposes to shoot in much higher resolution.

5. The camera gave fair warning of some issues. Turning up the ISO to 800 in a church doesn't help much as the resulting photo is simply too grainy to use. I think I could not recommend using more than a 200 ISO. In remembrance of a thread here, I tried turning down the contrast to compensate for the high ISO, but at the upper end, it is simply too grainy.

6. Color saturation--really a nice feature, warmed up the photos on a lot of cloudy days with no distortion.

7. The night mode worked well for me---dramatically improved shots I tried with/without.

8. The lightness of the camera was a pleasure for me, that poor hapless tourist trekking everywhere on foot lugging a bag.

9. I think 4 to 5 sets of batteries would have worked without recharging. Certainly, I was heavy on batteries at times due to PLAYBACK mode. But I still feel I got very good usage out of each set of batteries.

10. Oddly, it seemed to me that the 1600 PowerEx MAHA batteries charged in the MAHA charger performed better than the new 1800s (kodak---don't recall). I wonder if this is because the charger was designed for 1600s....?

On the whole, the camera performed like a charm. Only a lot of rainy, overcast weather kept me from getting the best photographic output in quality as well as quantity....!
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2002, 3:47 PM   #2
NHL

Welcome back!

Check out theses 2100mAh (they last and last...):
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5108
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 4:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Welcome back!

Check out theses 2100mAh (they last and last...):
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5108
Well, I ordered a couple packs--can't go wrong at the price.

Let me ask you though--do you think there is any issue in using the Maha charger I bought before 2100 batteries existed? Should the charger be upgraded or is this essentially irrelevant?
Old Dec 20, 2002, 5:31 PM   #4
NHL

It should work just fine. They are all 1.2V cell even though it might take a little bit longer for the Maha charger to detect the peak... The Rayovac quick 1hr charger from Walmart/Target should be [email protected] if you intend to upgrade, it's still take only 1hr and can also be used speedily with a 12V car adapter when you travel...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:54 PM   #5

The Very Best Feature about going Digital (I say, as I just packed off all my Minolta Maxxum film SLRs in the wake of an EBAY sale...)..

The lightness. Ah, what bliss. As I pack up my old SLR with 75-300 zoom, 28-210 zoom, super wide 20, flash, I was struck by how INCREDIBLY heavy it was compared to the 7i. Frankly, this is enough all by itself to keep me doing digital.