Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 10, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1

Being a bit of a masochist I have been playing with .MOV files again. Just like last time I did this my computer kept giving me an error message about there being no disk in the drive Device\Harddisk1\DR14 and similar. Seemingly this is a problem affecting many (but not all) users worldwide. There are partial solutions to be had by those brave enough to venture into regedit and of course there's the excellent file conversion utility previously discussed on this board.

There's another solution which I have tried. I make no guarantee but up to now it's working well for me. You can dispense with the regular QT program into the bargain. The program from KL Software called QuickTimeAlternative1.46 is available as a free download (at your risk of course). It plays .MOV movies just fine.

If anyone's interested go to:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1049831315/1

and follow the instructions. I hope this helps.

Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------------

KL Software says:.

QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime (.mov .qt) files. This way there is no need to install the offical QuickTime Player
. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages. The QuickTime plugins include iPIX and QuickTimeVR. The QuickTime Browser plugin supports Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla and Netscape
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 8:19 PM   #2

Hi Frank (et al)

That's the thing about being a Mac user is that Quicktime works seamlessly with .mov files. I can bring both my stills and movies from my A200 into iPhoto and then easily open the movies in Quicktime.

I know there are lots of Windows folks out there, but when you are dealing with digitial imagery there is nothing like a Mac...

(Sorry if I sound like a Mac snob... I just try to let folks know there is life beyond Windows....with the new Mac Mini you CAN have the best of both worlds!

Barb
sophiafatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:22 AM   #3

AFAIC, QT Alternative is a solution in search of a problem. The only difference between it and the regular QT install is that it doesn't have the Quicktime player and picture player in the quicktime folder. Whoop de doo - you save a megabyte. You can delete them yourself and it's not exactly a chore to set the default application for mov files to something else like Media Player Classic or KoolPlaya. If you run iTunes, it's going to install Quicktime, regardless.

As far as Quicktime working "seamlessly" on a Mac, well, it works seamlessly for me too. I can bring my photos & moviesinto Picasa, Cam2PC or a zillion other programs and open them in Quicktime, Premiere, Vegas or whatever.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 1:41 AM   #4

Hi RiotAct,

I'm glad QT works for you! I'm not trying toSELL the alternativeand don't want to start a big ding-dong but if you read the columns of www.tec-tips.com (and others),or even these KM forums you will soon see that there are a lot of unhappy bunnies out there who are tearing their hair out with QT! If you are not one of them then all I can say is - 'GREAT !'. I have no need for iTunes so that's not an issue and, sure, there will be other solutions to the .MOV problems.

Hi Barb,

I've never had a Mac - apart from with big fries some time ago! It used to be 'daggers drawn' between the Mac and PC folk, I don't know if this is still the case. Surely there can't be all that difference between (say) Photoshop for Mac and the same for a PC??? I notice that more and more progs are declaring that they do not make a Mac version, this seems a bit of a shame because I know that the Mac held sway for years and years. I'm PC - even though my system crashed irrevocably a couple of days ago! It's a wonder you didn't hear me wailing and gnashing my teeth.

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

I have an A200 and this works for me on Windows XP...

If I change the extension (using rename) from ".MOV" to ".avi", I can play the movies created by the A200 in either Winamp or Windows Media Player.

I don't really know much about codecs and such, so I can't say for sure if this rename trick works on machines that don't have QuickTime installed.

BTW, Nero ShowTime (which comes with Nero Burning Rom, which came bundled with my DVD Writer) also plays ".MOV" files.
Victor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:52 PM   #6

I rename mine too so they will show up as thumbnails in Explorer. They're motion JPEGs so they're not "real" Quicktime movies. I'm not even sure if you really need Quicktime.

The latest iTunes (4.8) will play Quicktime movies.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote