Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 11, 2005, 11:25 PM   #1

Every time my batteries lose power and I have to change them, I have to reset the time and date and any other custom settings such as ISO and sharpness. I recently tried changing them with the camera connected to my AC adaptor, but it still lost the settings (should I have turned the camera on before trying this?).

This is getting to be a pain in the rear especially out in the field, as the time taken can be critical when you are trying to get a special shot. My Toshiba digicam does not have this problem, and maintains date and time set as long as the new batteries are inserted within a reasonable time frame. I do not understand why a camera with so many other bells and whistles can't get a simple process like this nailed down.

Anyone care to comment? :?

wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 3:09 AM   #2

wordsmith wrote:
Quote:
Every time my batteries lose power and I have to change them, I have to reset the time and date and any other custom settings...
I do not have this problem with my Z2. There is a battery in the camera that keeps all of that custom settings saved. Yours must have died because I have never had a problem like this. That is the only thing I can think of. It is strange though that even using the AC adapter didn't work...
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:17 PM   #3

I am familiar with the notes in the manual that indicate that there is a small internal battery. However there is also a note in there that suggests you may have to reset the date and time after changing batteries.

Given the fact that my camera is barely six months old, the internal battery should not yet have reached the end of its life, and for KM to actually acknowldge that this problem could occur indicates a very poor standard of design in this area. AsI stated previously, my two yesr old Toshiba has no such problems, and has seen much more use in that time.

Old May 25, 2005, 2:57 AM   #4

wordsmith wrote:
Quote:
I am familiar with the notes in the manual that indicate that there is a small internal battery. However there is also a note in there that suggests you may have to reset the date and time after changing batteries.

Given the fact that my camera is barely six months old, the internal battery should not yet have reached the end of its life, and for KM to actually acknowledge that this problem could occur indicates a very poor standard of design in this area. As I stated previously, my two year old Toshiba has no such problems, and has seen much more use in that time.
In the A200, the small internal battery charges off of the main battery. My A200 lost the date the first time I took the main battery out because the internal battery had not charged yet. A camera that sits on the shelf for long enough will have the same problem. That clearly isn't your problem, but it does explain why the warning is in the manual. I wouldn't call that poor design.

Your Z2 appears to have a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw.

Victor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 1:53 PM   #5

I'll accept your logic, for now. However, I would be interested to know if I am the only one having this problem. It even lost settings when plugged into the AC adaptor, which might support your suggestion of a manufaturing defect (and by that standard, poor QC, although nobody these days seems to accept that as an issue - too bad!).