Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 17, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1

HI, I am looking at the Z5 to purchase, mainly because of the great zoom and the low price. I have a S414 now. Only thing is, how is the flash on indoor pictures? I really don't like the flash on my S414 and don't want to buy another camera with a bad flash. I realize you can put an external flash on but they look pretty goofy in the pics since the camera is so small and the flash is so big. Also how is the battery cover? The S414 is a pita to change and I have already broken one cover and had it replaced, I looked at the Z3, I think it was, in the store and that cover didn't look much more durable than my S414. I am also kinda looking at the A200 but am not sure if I really want to spend that much even though it is pretty reasonably priced too. So anyone with the Z5 please comment and tell me your likes and dislikes about this camera compared to others. Thanks!
dzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 6:55 PM   #2

I have the Z3 and in many repects, this is similar to the Z5. I'm very happy with it but I seldom use the built-in flash. My initialshots using this did not come out very good. Now I get better results just working with ambient lighting (I did order an external flash though). On the other hand, if you browse through the dslr sections of this forum, you'll find that a lot of the owners are also having trouble with the built-in flash. I guess that irregardless of the brand, typeand the model, these built-in flashes are really limited. I just use mine mostly as fill-flash when my background is brighter than my subject (like during sunny days outside). Hope this helps.

Nols

http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/sho...00/ppuser/2961
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 9:01 AM   #3

Hey, thanks so much for your feedback! I have been looking at many cameras flash ranges and I think you are right , digital cameras just don't have the greatest flash. My mother has a HP 850 and hers is actually quite good though, much better than my S414. I guess I am just used to my 35mm flash, I have a Minolta Maxxum HTsi Plus and the built in flash is all you really need on this camera, of course I do use 400 speed film too so that helps. Does your Z3 have the anit shake?Do you think with the anit shake system helps you get nice clear indoor shots without using the flash. Right now usually if I am going to be taking indoor shots, say at a school event, I normally take my 35mm but I really want to get away from that. I prefer digital way more than 35mm now. It took a long time to get to this point, never thought I would want to hang up my 35mm but I really want a camera that can totally replace it now. Btw, how has your battery coverbeen holding up, does it seem durable to you??

Thanks!
Old May 19, 2005, 4:50 PM   #4

Yes, the Z3 does have anti-shake. As for helping me get clear indoor shots, I think iit(wether outside or inside)helps more at low shutter speeds and long focal lengths (maximum zoom). I easily take a handheld shot at 1/25 shutter speed(wide angle) with no visible shake. It also helps at maximum zoom (12x). My moonshots (see gallery) were all taken handheld.

The battery cover seems durable enough. I cannot compare this with other camera covers since I only have experience with the Z3. The main limitation you're going to have with these digicams will be in low-light action shots, especially at long focal lengths(saytaking shots of poorly lit school programs from way back in the audience area). For this, you're better off with digital or film slr's.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 8:23 AM   #5

Hey, thanks again. I meant to comment on your moon shots in my last reply. They are awesome! Very, very nice!