Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 18, 2005, 4:56 PM   #1
stk

I have been playing with my A200 to try and determine the sharpest aperture. So far I have only done 200mm medium distance (20m or so). 50ASA, Xfine, Normal sharpness. Images taken using a tripod, autofocussed first then switched to manual for all shots. AS OFF, remote shutter release.

Results show clearly that image is pretty soft at F3.5 and F9-F11. Best sharpness is between F4 and F7, F5.6 to F6is the sharpest setting in my test.

The attached jpeg shows a very heavy crop and unfortunately I'm not sure the difference is really clear in this montage, but with the images printed the 5.6 is best to the eye, F7 and F4 close behind and F3.5 and 11 clearly softer.

Interesting, left to its own device my A200 tends to default to around F5.6, F6 in P mode.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Images

stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 8:06 PM   #2

Good info, thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing your medium and wide focal length comparisons.
Victor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 9:43 AM   #3

Most interesting - I took most of my (not very good) moon shots at f11, I'll change things a bit next time. Thanks Steve.

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 3:54 PM   #4
stk

Hi Frank,

Yes I would definitely suggest you try at F5.6 or F6. I did some wide and 100mm tests but have to redo them as I forgot to turn AS off and the longer exposure may have affected results. But I still got F9 and F11very noticablysofter than the other apertures.

Unfortunately I'm busy all weekend so I'll get back to this Monday.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:31 PM   #5

I'm surprised to hear that your camera tends towards F5.6, F6 in P mode.

My camera seems to do all it can in P mode to get F3.5.

As a result, I'm always having to adjust the auto settings to increase the depth of field.
mlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:32 AM   #6
stk

Hi,

May be dependent on the minimum target speed as well I guess, lower lightgoingfor widest aperture to achieve a minimum shutter.

Certainly in good daylight mine tends to stay around F6 or 7 region and adjust speed. I note from another forum that the D7 (I think) has a strong tendency to go for around F7 in good light and it has the same lens I believe.

I did so more playing with wide and around 70mm. For the small apertaure the results were the same, F9 getting soft and F11 very soft. For the F3-F9 range there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference on the quick look I've had so far but the sharpest seems to move a little towards F3 as I go from tele to wide.

So for mine it seems to be:
Avoid F9-F11 where possible (F11 unless desperate),
at 200mm F3.5 is soft, F4 to F8 good with around F6 best for me
at wide and mid not much diffrence across the range, the sharpest setting drifting towards F4 for wide angle.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:52 AM   #7
SWB

Nobody should be surprised that something around f5.6 is the sharpest aperture on the A200. You will find it is always around f5.6, or f8, on nearly every lens evermade, from Leicato Holga, Hasselblad to Kodak Instamatic.

Thevariation in where the P mode sets the aperture is probably 'mostly' down to the focal length in use. Some peoplefavor the 'telephoto' end of the range, and the calculations the camera does in P will reflect the underlying need to keep shutter speeds high as any camera movement, or subject movement, will be exaggerated by how far away from the subject you are, and particularly exaggerated with a low shutter speed. The 'Antishake' only helps solvecamera movement at slow speeds,and can't solve subject movement, so at the telephoto end of the scale it is still necessary to use high speeds if, say, trees are blowing about, or people are moving.
SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:23 PM   #8

Your findings are similar to the ones found here:

http://www.image66media.com/page5.html

He is a semi-pro who uses A1 extensively. Take a look, there is lots of good info on his website.

Ciao
alienspecimen is offline   Reply With Quote