Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:07 PM   #1

Default 7Hi Cracked Plastic on Left (7x???)

I love this camera, this kind of thing is upsetting.

There's a thread on DPReview discussing cracks which have developed on the plastic housing part on the left side of the camera, near the external flash sync and AF/MF button. See link below. There's confirmation from a number of forum posters, some of which are sending back there cameras.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=3983714

After looking closely, I too have found a crack on my 7Hi. I use the AF/MF button frequently, this is probably why my camera is cracked in this particular location. The camera has never been dropped or abused in any way. Seems like a defect to me. The link below is to a macro shot of my crack.

http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/damage

The image below shows which part of the camera is metal, I believe the remainder is mostly plastic.

This link indicates what is metal and what is plastic.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ge7i/page3.asp

I guess I'll have to send it back at some point--only two months old. I'm not happy about this, especially if I have to pay for shipping.

Rob
-=-
rsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2002, 7:14 PM   #2

interesting. looks like 7hi only.

should be easy to fix. try ask minolta to mail u the plastic cover and replace by urself (only 4 screws), though i doubt they will let u do it. sending in and back always does more damages. .
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 8:59 PM   #3

I agree with zhu001. You should see if they will send you the part.
Minolta should pay for this if it is a defect.

It could be over tightening at the factory. In most factories that assemble such delicate products use calibrated torque electric screw drivers so it stops at the right pressure. All you need is an badly calibrated driver or a wrong calculation for this to happen.

New owners should look at this area of the camera the first time they open it. Backing off this screw a bit might save your cover from cracking.

It is a sad thing that this is happening to many D 7HI owners.

Kirk
kirklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:21 PM   #4

Apparently this is not unique to the 7Hi, on the DPReview forum a 7i owner reported the same.
rsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:50 PM   #5

Do you have an image of what is behind your cover?

Sounds like Minolta scewed up... It just has to be there fault :shock: ..

There is a fix for it that might work if you have a crack. If you have a soldering iron you can melt or weld the seam. Then on the back side of the crack take a peace of plastic and melt that into the back of the crack.

You can also get 2 part epoxy, mix up a small amount and apply to the back of your crack. When you put the cover back on after it dries don't over tighten that screw.

Just trying to help..

Kirk
kirklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 1:24 PM   #6

i would wait until minolta give u an answer before doing anything to fix by urself. i am sure minolta will address the problem and fix it.

my observation is that minolta changed the material for 7hi in order to have black apperance. the material is much more brittle and harder than that of 7i's.

anyway, it really does not affect any performance of the camera.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote