Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 20, 2005, 4:27 PM   #1

I have just recieved the ACT 100 for the minota dimage.Just a few questions which I hope someone can help with.I have not put the software on my computer for the dimage as I already have software from the fujifilm S302 which works quite well.Do I need to use the minolta software.Do I need to use the software for the ACT 100 to make use of the telephoto converter.I hope someone who has already got these items will be able to help me.As you can tell I am a novice but I am ready to learn:?
sandybumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 11:42 PM   #2

Look about midway in this page and from thereon. Should solve your problem.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=20&page=1

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:02 AM   #3

Hello sandybumble. I have a couple of questions too.

Which Konica Minolta Dimage do you have ? You say that the Fuji software is working OK, but surely not with the Dimage. Do you mean you are uploading your photos directly from your camera and the Fuji software is handling it ? I wouldn't have thought that possible, the software wouldn't recognise the Dimage camera (I think). Personally I don't use the Dimage Viewer as I use PSCS2 for processing raw files and just use Windows to import my files to the computer.

To install the Dimage software would really depend on what you are likely to do with your images. Meaning, do you use an image editing program like Photoshop, Elements, PSP etc. If you intend shooting in raw format you will need software to handle this. If you don't have any yet then the Dimage Viewer software will enable you to view and edit your raw files prior to conversion.

Regarding the ACT-100, software on your computer has nothing to do with using the lens on your camera. It is all to do with the software and firmwarein thecamera itself. Again, not knowing which camera you have means I don't know whether it needs a firmware upgrade or will be OKright now. I should think that you would get some functionality anyway. For example : I have a Dimage A2 and the last firmware upgrade to version 112 enabled a new setting in the cameras menu allowingme to set to either an ACT-100 or an ACW-100.When set it gives the correct focal length in the EXIF and allows 'normal' focussing when the macro switch is used to lock the lens in place, instead of going in to macro mode.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 3:16 AM   #4

you are right.I don't use the fujifilm software,I realised this after.I download the photos from the camera.through my computer.I have the Dimage A200.On the menu of the camera it shows an option for telephoto or wide angle lens,I haven't got either on my A200 which makes me think I need to download extra firmware from the disc.It also states in the paperwork that I have to update the compact flahcard.

I put the lens onto the camera yesterday and it says I have to open the lens to its maximum position .I can take photos with it but it makes it very unstable.I will probably have to hold it under the lens to support it instead of using a tripod.

I forgot to mention I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements to edit the photos

Sorry to be such a dumbo

:?

Old May 21, 2005, 5:30 AM   #5

I can't find anything at all regarding a firmware update for the A200. Perhaps another A200 owner will step in and confirm either way.

Having read a few reviews on the A200 it seems to me that you should already have the options to set the camera to None, Wide or Tele.

Can you please check your cameras menu again. The setting for Lens Acc. is likely to be under one of the blue tabs.

Yes you should use the ACT-100 at the long end and engage the macro switch to avoid the lens barrel slipping home due to the weight of the ACT.

Until you become more proficient at post processing, Elements will be more than enough program for now. Some swear by it and would consider upgrading to the fullPhotoshop an unnecessary expense.

Let me know if/when you find the Lens Acc. option in the menu.

Old May 21, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6

you were right.I have found the lens option on in the menu.would it make any difference if I leave it with the telephotooption on all the time or should I only access it when the lens is in position.It says that you have to updte the CF card as well but again it only sys it for the A2 A1 7Hi and 7i.The only thing I can think of is that because this is the later model I do not need to update anything.I have 3 discs for the dimage but I have not used any of them.Reckon I won't need to.

Thanks a lot for your help.Its good to know somewhere I can go to
Old May 21, 2005, 10:40 AM   #7

You are right, as I thought, you don't need to update the firmware. This was only necessary for the A2, A1 etc as they were developed prior to the lens accessories becoming available. We needed to do this to use the ACT or ACW.

You should really only set the menu to use the ACT when you are actually using it. This is because it gives the correct reading in the EXIF when in use and will give a false reading if it is still set and the lens is not attached. Also the setting enables you to engage the macro switch to hold the lens in place without actually going into macro mode. If this happened it would be difficult to focus properly. And remember, it is supposed to be used with the camera at full zoom.

Now I know you are using PS Elements, which is great for editing, but you may still want to use Dimage Viewer if you take photos in RAW mode. Unless you are using Elements 3, which can handle raw files already. I don't have any of the Dimage software on my computer, not needed.

Yes this is a great forum, you can actually solve a lot of your photography problems, queries etc just by looking at the relevant threads. But please don't hesitate to ask, there is always someone who can help.

Now get to wprk learninghow to useyour camera and I look forward to you posting some images in the future.

Stevekin.