Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:15 AM   #21

Hi all,

I'm posting back after some time since my previous post. This is regarding to the "System Error" (followed by camera shutdown) of the Konica Minolta A200 when using my CF SanDisk 1GB. Since i reached the point where i could not take any more pics (at all), and after talking to SanDisk local support, i finally sent the card overseas for repair as instructed by them also.

I got it back from SanDisk with a note and explanation that i damaged the card by using the camera somehow. They didn't quite exactly know how to put it

(how original by the way):|. Say cheese!!!!!!

To sum it up, from what they told me, it seems that when i was taking a lot of pics (note: one after another) and cam was writing to card continiously, when i was getting the "System Error" and cam was shutting downwhile the write LED was still flashing .... this was damaging the card! In the end it simply was not writable!!!!

That is all the 99.9% feedback they could provide me with. I talked to Konica Minolta again to ask whether or not they had similar complaints with their specific model (or any other for that matter) and they clearly said "No". But who knows for sure? I, for one, have already lost any trust i might hadin them.

Anyways, now the cam is working fine, but the fact is that whenever i take a pic i wait until the flshing LED (write) turns off until i take another pic or switch off camera. I have tried doing everything else i could (before changing the card) but without help so i'd suggest you make your own experiments to find out. They only thing i haven't tried was to buy another "brand" card to see if it would not create any problems.

Officially, both Konica and SanDisk told me that there is no reason why the specific camera wont work ok with that specific card but they couldn't gurantee that there would be no problems either. :?

So i suppose, it's your guess on what to tryto do in the end. The only thing i can tell you for sure is once you start getting those messages, quickly backup your pics (if you really need them) and format the card using the same cam (yours).

OH, and take your card for repair ASAP if it reaches the point where you cannot write anything to it, before your warranty expires. If it does then you'll probably need a new card, unless you know someone who works for the company of your card.

That's all folks.
dta1eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:43 PM   #22

I'm also having the "system error" problem with my A200. My symptoms are similar (during saves, usually large RAW) will sometimes cause this issue. However I can reformat the card to correct it, temporarily. I am using a 2gb Lexar Professional 80 with Write Acceleration.

I noticed on Lexar's site they have an update for those cards for issues with Canon cameras. Going to get a replacement and see if it helps. Otherwise I have no clue. I also bet this is a camera problem and KM hasn't figured it out yet (problems replicating most likely).
kknostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:56 PM   #23

Same problem shortly after a bought the A200 with 'system error'¬* message. I use a 1G Lexar professional card and use either the new dual core G5 (Mac)_ or the G4 laptop.I called Minolta and they gave me no answers... just send the camera back! I checked with Lexar...no apparent issues. Checked with the card reader mfr....again no issues.¬*Through the slow process of elimination, this is what I have found out...and can replicate the process. I tried reformating, erasing the card and re- initializing...but then problem always came back until I realised that some on the files remaining (undeleted)¬*on the card appeared to be making it impossible for the A200 software to save to the card after one or two shots (especially those requiring more storage such as RAW or a low light image). It¬* became apparent that it was not the card or the camera per se...but some clitch that creates a conflict with leftover THUMBNAILS on ther flash card...This is how I have solved the problem...and have had no problems since. It is a pain...but until Minolta offers another solution...When I download the images I can do it two ways (to save battery and gain speed, I prefer to use a card reader):A) via a card reader, iPhoto v.2 or v.5 opens automatically. I load images into iPhoto but LEAVE THE DELETE ORIGINAL FILES FROM CAMERA UNCHECKED. Quit iPhoto. Thenopen the compact flash card and drag ALL the files to the trash and delete. This will include the.jpegs, MRWs, etc. and also all the THUMBNAILS.B) iPhoto opens...I immediately quit it. Then I open the Compact Flash Card and copy all the files to a separate folder (that can then be accessed by Minolta Viewer or Photoshop). Delete all the files from the card (.jpegs, MRWs, etc. and also all the THUMBNAILS).Let me know if this helps....
gypsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:58 AM   #24
E.T

gypsydog wrote:
Quote:
It is a pain...but until Minolta offers another solution...
Do you think printer manufacturer would be responsible if printer would fed with some slimy&sticky jam prone paper instead of standard paper?

Quote:
When I download the images I can do it two ways (to save battery and gain speed, I prefer to use a card reader):A) via a card reader, iPhoto v.2 or v.5 opens automatically. I load images into iPhoto but LEAVE THE DELETE ORIGINAL FILES FROM CAMERA UNCHECKED. Quit iPhoto. Thenopen the compact flash card and drag ALL the files to the trash and delete. This will include the.jpegs, MRWs, etc. and also all the THUMBNAILS.B) iPhoto opens...I immediately quit it. Then I open the Compact Flash Card and copy all the files to a separate folder (that can then be accessed by Minolta Viewer or Photoshop). Delete all the files from the card (.jpegs, MRWs, etc. and also all the THUMBNAILS).Let me know if this helps....
Simple solution: Always copy and move files from card using Windows' Explorer.
Those super easy automated includes "kitchen sink" p.o.s junks can leave all kind of crap behind.

And there ain't any reason for using proprietary software for converting RAWs because it does extremely lousy work, just compare Minolta Viewers output to that of real converter:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...200/page12.asp
(zoom page in browser to see how big difference is)

Especially when there's even much better free alternative around, called Rawshooter Essentials.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote