Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 28, 2005, 4:28 AM   #1

Lightning is fast becoming an obsession of mine. Here are several shots taken recently. With this first one, I played with the colors a bit.

Attached Images

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 4:30 AM   #2

Here's another one:

Attached Images

Old May 28, 2005, 4:32 AM   #3

And the last for this storm's batch:

Attached Images

Old May 29, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4

nice shots Nols! I never had a luck to catch up lightning since it's not appear here fequently especially in the nighttime BTW maybe you can share a bit of your experience and tell what settings have you used to take these pictures?
PS I'm also Z3 owner.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 5:00 PM   #5

Hey thanks. I've been fairly lucky lucky with the weather here since these past couple of weeks it's getting predictable. These last weeks of May are a transition period for us between summer and the rainy season. Usually it would be very hot mornings up to early afternoon, and we'll have thunderstorms late afternoon to early evenings.

As for the Z3, I just set it to manual with the aperture at f/2.8 and shutterspeed set to 1/25 (during night time ISO 200). I can change these settings depending if it's still light outside. Then I set my shutter to progressive capture, point the camera to the general area where I notice the lightning strikes, and then press and hold the button down until a lightning flashes. I always make sure a have a spare set of betteries since this method drains them really fast. Progressive capture will give me about 15 saved frames and most of these will be completely dark but about three would have the lightning bolt. So in summary here's what you'll need:

1. Know your weather

2. Use progressive capture

3. A LOT of patience

I've also gotten some tips from other photographers. They suggest mounting the camera on a triipod and using extended exposure(say 15 seconds) instead. This would give you clearer pictures and reduce the blur from camera shake. I cannot do it this way here since thunderstorms are usually accompanied by wind gusts, rain, swaying trees, etc. Well, I hope this helps.

Nols

http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/sho...00/ppuser/2961

:-)
Old May 31, 2005, 7:24 AM   #6

thanks for providing information about how you've did this photos! I'll keep them in mind and will try to use next time I had lightning here. I've tried to make shots with long exposures but pictures wasn't impressive, same with the short exposures... maybe my problem was that I never go for ISO 200 since it looks to noisy to me(maybe because I had Dimage F200 and it was almost noisless on ISO 100 and had way less noise on 200). But your pictures looks good, maybe because they are resized... Maybe you can tell whenever there are a lot of noise or if you could send me full-sized picture to mailbox?

PS I'm going to look to your gallery now, thanks for link! I always enjoy to look photos made by other people
Old May 31, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

Can't really avoid the noise when shooting in the dark at ISO 200. I just run my pictures through NeatImage (it's free for download). These photos were cropped, resized and resampled ro allow for posting. Ican email youthe originals, if you want.

Nols
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:48 AM   #8

Thanks! I'll PM you my address in few minutes.
BTW yesterday we had lightning here, although I wasn't able to catch any impressive picture:roll: I didn't want to go outside so my camera wouldn't become wet and from the window wasn't too much to shot. BTW do you use fast progressive capture or usual one? as it seems that with usual one(2 frames per second), lightning doesn't show on the pictures. maybe because it doesn't last as long as in your area...
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:59 PM   #9

I use the fast (long) progressive capture. This gives you 15 frames per set. Even using this, most of the time you won't get a usable frame. It's a bit like panning for gold I suppose. I'll try to send you the undeited pics asap.

Nols
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:11 PM   #10

thanks for info! and I'm waiting for your pictures.