Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1

Is the A2 USB 1.1 or USB 2.0?

I have timed the transfer of 34 RAW files, a total of 393 Mb stored on a 512 Mb Scandisk Ultra 11 card to my PC at just over 5 minutes- 5:16 to be exact which I calculate a transfer rate of 10Mbps. I understand that USB 1.1 is 12 Mbps where as USB 2.0 should be 480 Mbps.

By way of contrast, tranferof same34 files from my internal HD to a 160 Gb exteranl hard drive via the same port gives a transfer time of ~15 secs - a transfer rate of 210 Mbps. This is still not full USB 2.0 speed but its a lot faster than from the camera.

Anyone any thoughts? Is the CF card a limiting factor? or is the A2 not USB 2.0 - after all any USB 1 device can claim USB 2 "conectivity"!

Regards

Gidders
gidders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:34 AM   #2

Hi there,

just use a Card Reader - it quite simplify things!

Ciao, Wolfie
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3

USB 2 comes in two flavours. USB 2 Full speed @ up to 12mb/sec and USB 2 Hi-speed @ up to 480mb/sec.

Notice I say up to. There are a few limiting factors and I doubt if any device will actually transfer at the maximum speed,but the transfer rates stated are just that,maximum speeds. The most obvious reason for slower transfer speeds, and I presume your computer has USB2, is if you transfer to a comp with only USB 1.1, the original standard. Also, if you use a USB hub, that can reduce the speed along with a badly fragmented hard drive.

The A2 is supposed to be USB2 Hi- speed, transfering as you say, at up to 480mb/sec. I haven't tried timing this, but will do so later to compare with your results. I always use a USB2 card reader as Wolfie suggested. Much quicker, no battery drain on your camera, which reduces the chance of file corruption or problems with cards if the batteries go mid way.

Later,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

Since my original post I'd though of going down the card reader route, especially as ALDI had some 8 - 1 USB 2 readers for £7.99, so bought one.

More testing now gives ( for the same 34 RAW files 393 mb)

Camera - Int HD ~310sec ~10 mbps

Reader - Int HD ~63 secs ~ 50 mbps

Ext HD - Int HD ~60 secs ~ 52 mbps

Int HD - Ext HD~20 secs ~ 160 mbps

From the last two timimgs it would appear my ext HD can write much faster than my internal one but thats not the whole story becasue

Reader - Ext HD ~54 secs ~ 58 mbps

What stops tthe speed getting anywhere near the 480 mbps? What speed is anyone else getting?

Regards

Gidders
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:38 PM   #5

Gidders, as I said, a number of factors could limit the transfer speed. Apart from the 'obvious' one I mentioned earlier, there is one other major limiting factor......the card itself. I conducted the test as you did and when it came to working the figures out I realised that your results didn't seem right.

Transfer from camera....393mb on the card divided by 310 seconds equals1.26mb/sec. Not USB2 Hi-speed for sure.

Transfer from card reader....393mb divided by 63 seconds equals 6.23mb/sec.

Your Sandisk Ultra II has a maximum read speed of 10mb/sec (or 66x), so it would appear that in the case of card reader to computer the limiting factor is the card reader. They don't all perform the same as each other. But I wouldn't rush out and buy another brand as this should be satisfactory.

Camera to Computer however, is considerably slower. Why, I don't know. Konica Minolta say it is USB2 Hi- Speed, but obviously it is not performing to that standard. Again, I wouldn't worry, just use the card reader.

My own test was done with a Lexar 40x. My other cards are Lexar 80x, but used the 40x for this.

394mb on the card from camera to computer took 338 seconds. 394mb divided by 338 seconds equals 1.16mb/sec. Slightly slower than your speed.

394mb from Belkin USB2 card reader, 394mb divided by 68 seconds equals 5.79mb/sec. Which is nearer to the maximum for my card at 6mb/sec.

All in all, forget transfer from your camera, stick to the card reader.

In answer to your question,
Quote:
What stops the speed getting anywhere near the 480 mbps? What speed is anyone else getting?
It's the card. It depends on the speed rating of the card, even the Extreme III at 133x is 'only' 20mb/sec.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:28 PM   #6

Stevekin

When they quote card and read speeds I think they quote a M bits/sec not M bytes/sec and therefore don't you have to multiply all the speeds by 8 - 8 bits =1 byte.

Therefore 393 Mb = 3144 M bits?

Regards, Gidders
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:46 PM   #7

Gidders, I can see where the confusion lies now. I wondered why your figures were so high, but in fact the Sandisk Ultra II reads at a maximum speed of 10 Megabytes per second (actually 9.9mb/sec). This equates to a 'times' factor of 66.

1x speed is equal to 150 kilobytes per second. Therefore 66x works out to be 150 (kb) X 66 equals 9.9 megabytes per second.

They are not calculated using the measurement/value of Bits.

This means your card reader is not doing a bad job of it for £7.99 from Aldi, but nobodies A2 is going to break any records in the transfer stakes.

To check your card speed look here, http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultra2-cf.asp

Best,

Stevekin.