Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:08 AM   #1

I hate to ask this, but since I haven't followed the newer models here goes.
I have a Dimage 7hi and found out what most others said; it's noisey. I'm not a professional photpgrapher, but AFAIC, it has a noisy image even at a fixed ISO100. This isn't news, I know.
Now, have the newer models corrected this at all?
What has changed with the 3 or 4 successors to this model?

I know it was the A1, then the A2, but just what after that?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Administrator

Newer models include the A1, A2 and A200.

I personally don't think there is a substantial difference between noise levels going from the 7HI to the A1 when looking at comparison images. You can look at the samples in the reviews here and judge for yourself.

One thing to be aware of, is that the KM models usingaSony5MP 2/3" CCD appear to be about 2/3stop more sensitive than their rated ISO speed. So, this can make them look like they've got a bit higher noise, when in fact, it's a bit lower than most competitors (if their competitors ISO speed is adjusted to the same real sensitivity to light).

The newest8MPmodels (A2, A200) are probably worse at the same ISO speeds compared to the 5MP models.

Although the newer KM models are better than some of their competitors using the Sony 8MP 2/3" CCD, this is a relatively high noise sensor. Given that you've got 8 versus 5 Megapixels to work with, this may be an acceptable compromise to many users that need the higher resolution -- especially with advances in noise reduction software, and given that noise is not as noticeable at lower resolution viewing sizes.

You may also want to be aware that KM has introduced a DSLR model, the Dynax 7D (a.k.a., Maxxum 7D), that is capable of shooting at ISO speeds up to ISO 3200. It's using a Sony 6MP Sensor, similar to the one being used in models like the Nikon D70, and has integrated Anti-Shake (like the newer A series Prosumer models).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:44 PM   #3

There is only this A200 after the A2?
Both use this 8MP Sony chip? If so, isn't this A200 a stripped down A2?

I just liked the manual zoom and iris overide (unfortunately it's electronic) of the 7hi body.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:04 PM   #4
Administrator

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
There is only this A200 after the A2?
Both use this 8MP Sony chip? If so, isn't this A200 a stripped down A2?
Yes, the only new prosumer after the A2 so far is the A200.

It is stripped down in some ways (for example, the EVF is lower resolution, you don't have wireless flash ability or ADI, it's missing a control wheel and probably some other things I can't remember).

But, some users like the twist and flip LCD of the A200 (something the A2 did not have).

Yes, all of the 8MP Prosumer models (KM A2, A200; Sony DSC-F828; Olympus C-8080WZ, Canon Powershot Pro1) are using a Sony 8MP 2/3" CCD.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote