Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Minolta DIMAGE 7 - black edges to photos - ???

I was testing out some new lights I got tonight with my DImage, and was surprised to find this black shadowing in the corners of the pics - what gives? I'm not using a flash, or the lens hood, there isn't anything physically causing it/blocking the lens - I'd like to know just so that I can prevent it in the future. Later when I was taking photos without the lighting and just using available light or flash I also got this shadowing.

Maybe it's always been there and I haven't noticed before cause I haven't been shooting B&W?? Has this happened to anyone else? I did a search on the forum and didn't come up with anything.

Examples can be found here:
http://www.angstbabe.com/pages/PICT4006.htm

http://www.angstbabe.com/pages/PICT4007.htm
http://www.angstbabe.com/pages/PICT4031.htm

(and if you come across some photos in the series that are *without* the black at the edges, it's because I cropped it out.)

Thanks
tracyleephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:31 AM   #2

Hi, it certainly looks like lens vignetting, have you added any filters to the lens?, if I add more than 1 "thick" 49mm filter it has the same effect, best option is to use a 49 to 55 or 58mm stepup ring and then use the larger filters.

Kind regards, Jeff
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:39 AM   #3

I have a single filter on the lens, just a regular size, nothing fancy, UV filter. But I'll take that off and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks.
tracyleephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:46 AM   #4
NHL

phaedra1106 is correct and most of your shots are @ the wide angle setting which will show this problem the most. The other option is to use the thinline (5mm) B+W filter if you want to keep the tulip lens shade on for sunny outdoor shots.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5

I was surprised to see some vignetting on shots I took recently too. I figured it was the lens hood. Despite the fact that I so often shoot at wide angle, it's odd so few shots vignetted actually. It's hard to predict when they will.

Do you have a link for any filter that will eliminate this issue, assuming it's the filter? I too am just using a routine 49mm UV
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:23 PM   #6

Hi

I'm using a standard Sunpak49mm UV, this is also 5mm "thick" and doesn't cause any problems on it's own but adding another filter does cause vignetting, the only solution is to use a step-up ring, (ideally 58mm) then you can add uv, polarising etc. filters without the problem.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:35 PM   #7
NHL

monsieurms

there's a filter link below:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=filter

The B+W and Heliopan are on the pricey side, but I only need 1/camera... Any 5mm as suggested will do. The expensive ones are molded, grinded, and polished while the more standard ones are cookie cutter stamped out from larger sheet of glass... The hard to get one is the thin polarizer that needs two layers of glass!
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:45 PM   #8

As always, you are a fountain of useful information.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:58 PM   #9
NHL

Hey... Sounds like 2000 is the vintage to stock up on all the red from France? I hope theses cases will beat the stock market!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:16 PM   #10

It's a pretty exciting vintage across the country, but not everywhere. The excitement comes primarily from 2000 Bordeaux and 2000 Chateauneuf du Papes, but it seemed to go at least well in most regions.

Trust me though, the 2000 Chateauneufs will be lots cheaper.