Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1
stk

Hi,

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but my A200 appears to have DOF preview. I could find no mention in the manual, but when the shutter is half pressed (P,A,S and probably manual mode) the EVF image changes to correct DOF exactly as on final image. Release the shutter button and the image reverts to maximum DOF.

I noticed it first when focussing at 200mm, f3.5 on a close object, but thentried a range of F stops.

Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:49 AM   #2
stk

Seems I'm not imagining it. Someone onone of the other forumsconfirms.

Nice feature. I think I'll use it a lot now I know its there. I thought it was something only on the A2.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:14 AM   #3

I don't get this on my A200. Where is it displayed on the screen and how did you activate it?

Thanks

Gareth
Agrajag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:29 AM   #4

The way I see it the camera offers full-time depth-of-field preview. Unlike SLRs, this camera actually changes the aperture as you adjust it (look into the lens as you turn the adjust dial in aperture priority mode and you'll see the aperture opening or closing), SLRs only set the aperture as the shutter is released therefore requiring a DOF preview button to close or open the aperture to that selected.

Therefore, on the A200 the image you see when you you look at the monitor is the image that will be recorded. I'm not sure about Steve's comment that the monitor reverts back to max DOF when the shutter is released - mine stays focused at the length it was set at, the DOF remains the same.

To demonstrate, set your aperture to f3.5 and zoom in on a close object and depress the shutter half way. Look closely at the background and notice that it is probably very blurry. Now release the shutter, adjust your aperture to f11 and point the camera at the same subject. This time the background should be more clearly in focus.

I use this technique a lot, especially with macro shots at wide-open (f3.5) exposures to make the background appear blurred, and with portrait type shots at f11 when I want the background to be focused behind my subject (if the image is a little soft it is easy to Photoshop with the 8MP resolution of this camera).

Another thing to remember is that fixed lens digital cameras actually offer far greater depth of field than SLRs. f2.8 on a digital fixed lens camera is equal to f11 on anSLR in terms of DOF rendered, f4 is equal to f16, f5.6 is like f22, f8 = f32, and f11 is a whopping f64!! This is great for a number of different shooting conditions, but does cause problems too. In the picture below I wanted to focus on the tree in the foreground and let the trees in the background appear blurred, thus giving the image 3D qualities. Setting my aperture to f3.5 on an SLR would achieve this effect, but because f3.5 on a fixed lens digi is equal to about f15, the background is still too focused to achieve the desired effect.

If anyone has found a technique to overcome this I'd love to hear it!

Hope this information is useful for other A200 owners.

Simon
Attached Images

simonknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:38 AM   #5

Ah that explains my confusion (or least my confusion in this matter!) I did not realise that not all cameras showed how the image was going to look re dof.

Why is there a difference in the dof v f number with fixed lens cameras and SLRs?

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Gareth
Agrajag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:28 PM   #6
stk

hi

I think I understand why my result (reverting back) confused.

Try P mode. half press and camera focus set DOF shutter and aperture. Nowrelease theshutter and adjust shutter speed with the thumbwheel to shift program.On mine, each time I now refocus (at this program shift) I can see DOF change.

So it seems thatwhatI was seeing was a quirk with using program shift (still behaving OK, not a problem). In other cases it seem to DOF preview directly.

I'm sure DOF preview is not normal on all cameras and I find it a great feature.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:24 PM   #7

Hmm - I will look into this - if this is true then I am even more impressed than I already was - the one thing I have missed is a DOF preview - however - digicams seem to have a greater DOF in the first place compared with 35mm film
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:17 PM   #8

Well, I have used about 10 digicams from different manufacturers, and all of them had this "feature" so there's nothing to get amased. this is typical function.

A-lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 3:05 PM   #9

I wander if what you want to achieve (a shallow DOF) might be possible with a 49-62 step-up ring and a 2x teleconverter and with less zoom from the camera
stefan2door is offline   Reply With Quote