Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:06 PM   #1

Hello to All:

I'm new here and also new to my Dimage A200. I'm having problems capturing action shots and would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Let me give an example: My husband drag races and I wanted to get some shots of him and his car going down the track. When his car came into frame, I pushed the "shoot" button but by the time the photo was taken he was long gone out of the frame. In reading other posts on the website, I may need to "follow and/or pan" him down the track and try to get shots that way, but I was wondering if changing my shutter speed may help me out. I love taking photos and my last "film" camera was pretty much a point and shooter -- didn't have to mess with shutter speeds,etc. Essentially, I'm a novice when it comes to dealing with all the gizmos on this digi camera. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Dena:bye:
DenaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:41 PM   #2

Hi there Dena. Don't own the A200. I think you're experiencing shutter lag (gap between the time you press and the time when the camera actually takes the picture). For drag racing in particular, you should pan and also point your camera a little ahead of the moving car to make up for the shutter lag. Also, it generally easier to take a picture of an object moving towards or away from you rather than an object crossing the field of view of the camera.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to your drag racing pics.

Nols

Minolta Z3

Pentax *istDs
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:19 PM   #3

Use continuous shooting mode to take several photos in sequence to improve chance of getting good photo of moving target.

For example I took this photo of this attacking seagull in HS continuous mode. Shutter speed was 1/1600.

FP

KM A200
Attached Images

Frank Pappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:50 PM   #4
stk

Wow!

How did you get such good focus on the seagull?

Cheers
Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:44 AM   #5

Steve, a bit of newbie luck involved I think.

Continuous AF and I waited to the last moment before focusing and didn't waste time starting to shoot. This photo was the first shot in the sequence after focus lock beep so that also helped...

Luckily it was quite a bright day so I got away with using a 1/1600 shutter speed to improve sharpness.

I've had this camera now for almost 3 months and still learning my way around.

FP

Frank Pappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:07 AM   #6

Yes, shutter lag is the biggest problem here. 99% of the time shutter lag is caused by the camera trying to autofocus, and/or wake up from going to sleep.

So try setting the camera to manual focus and then prefocus the camera. When the drag racer gets to your focus point, take the photo. Shutter lag will be virtually absent, just make sure the camera is not sleeping by tapping the shutter release from time to time.

If the distance is sufficient, you can probably just set the focus at infinity and forget about it.

Hope that helps.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:57 AM   #7
stk

I've found the very fastest response comes from prepressing shutter halfway, in whatever mode. When the shutter is then pressed fully it is almost instantanous.

This is still the case even when in manual focus and manual exposurewhere there is a still a delay in the first half press.

Beware of the delay between whats on the display and whats in front of the camera as well!

Cheers
Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote