Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:52 AM   #1

hi,
I would to acquire the A200 camera...
but the comments on: frequent focus error, soft image and the big shutter lag.... scare to me!
some happy owner of this camera, can confirm (or cancel) this?

sorry for my bad bad english!
tnx

simple_maL
simple_maL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

Read Steve's review of the A-200. There is also links to several other reviews included. The soft image is no problem, if you don,t post process you can set the sharpness to hard in the camera, the lens is very good. All the top prosumer digicams are roughly equal, just pick the one whose features meet your requirements and don't worry about getting a dog.
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

Read Steve's review of the A-200. There is also links to several other reviews included. The soft image is no problem, if you don,t post process you can set the sharpness to hard in the camera, the lens is very good. All the top prosumer digicams are roughly equal, just pick the one whose features meet your requirements and don't worry about getting a dog.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:21 PM   #4

OOPS! disregard the double post.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

I did some research by reading several reviews prior to obtaining my A200 last week. I also saw the 'negative' comments about soft focus - it isn't a problem! As mentioned in previous posts you can set the sharpen level in camera - or do it in post processing, which is what I do.

I haven't seen any problems with failure to focus - yet - but I do use the flexi-focus mode as I find this a wonderful option.

Don't worry about the shutter lag - as long as you are pre-focussed (release button half pressed) you can virtually ignore the lag.

The choice for me came down to the Nikon CP8800 and the A200. they seem to offer very similar feature/performance etc. What swung it for me was :

Price - in UK the CP8800 was £170 more expensive. Got additional Minolta battery and 1Gb card and still about £100 'saved'.

Zoom - I just love the manual zoom - I have never really got on with electrical zoom. Previous camera (now wife's!)is aNikon CP4300 and the zoom was a pain to use.

It's an added bonus thatthe batteries are interchangable.

Phil

Phil Pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:06 PM   #6

I'm very pleased with my A200. Sometimes the focus misses and says "Ok" and it's out of focus big time, even in flex focus, but I don't think of it as such a big deal.

Low light performance + autofocus on any camera = problems focusing from time to time.
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:13 AM   #7

Shutter lag seems to be a problem with most digital cameras, doubtless this will improve as systems develop. To a large extent you get used to it though I'm sure it's a problem if you try to get a shot of a Formula 1 race car going past your nose!

The A200 has two features which put it head and shoulders above many other cameras - the above-mentioned manual zoom is one, those motorised zooms are a pain in the neck. The other feature which I like is the flip around LCD viewer, this is just so GOOD, though I wish it were a little bigger. A proper manual focus option would have been nice, too.

The A200 is OK.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:26 AM   #8

And shutter lag is a 'problem' with many SLR's (digital and film)!

There is a finite time between pressing the shutter release and the mirror getting out of the way so the exposure can be made. Like everything else you have to learn how to cope with it with each camera. Although I have only hadthe A200 forone week - I have found that the shutter lag is much less than other digital cameras I have owned. If you are doing really high speed photography then maybe using the sequential shot feature together with manual 'tracking ' of the moving object will help.
Phil Pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:38 PM   #9

I agree with Phranque & Phill - The A-200 is a 'goodun'
All cameras have a bit of the problems mentioned. Mine misses focus less often than my other Olympus C-740 does, also the shutter lag is not so bad and yes - I use the trick of pre-focusing when I want an exact moment captured.
I particularly like the menu system which, once learnt, makes virtually everything I want to do available in just a click or two of the buttons - unlike my Olympus (which I DO like!) which has something like a Windows explorer tree to wade through just to change the image size or to find Super Macro...
My default settings? - I have the sharpness on Hard, I put contrast to +1 and Saturation to +1 or +2 depending on weather and situation. Very happy with the results.
Lastly - the only oddball thing is the macro setup. Macro is available at wide angle, or at the telephoto end. The distance from the subject is not as close as some - but at the telephoto end you get a decent close up large image. The problem comes in the overlap distance between 'Macro' and 'not macro' where the camera may be just off range and fail to focus - simply switching the macro switch has always resolved this and once I became aware of it I am ready for it... but I would have prefered it slightly different - that's all though.
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote